cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Moderator Marie

Re: DNS timeout

Hey wallet72, I understand that it's frustrating and that you'd don't want to hear this however it is a case by case situation. Options are going to vary on depending on how long a customers been impacted by these issues, if we have upgrades scheduled, credit history for the same issue etc. Certainly if you're impacted by this issue we recommend you contact the number I provided opt-us-out earlier and we'd be happy to discuss the best option for your service.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Contributor wallet72
Contributor

thanks for the reply.

This should -not- be on a case by case basis. If there is congestion in an area then all customers in that area should get the same compensation for the problem, either rebates or something else. IT should not be based on whether a customer rings up to complain or not. Its in the best interest of Optus to proactively deal with this, a grumpy customer is going to tell everyone and then plan to find another provider - a simple proactive act could stop all that.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor opt-us-out
Occasional Contributor

Hi marie,

Unlike Wallet72, i can't see why it is so difficult to see congestion in a given area. 

From your reply to my post it would appear that you are suggesting optus was not aware of any congestion in my area until i just happened to join and raise a call(?).   If so does that mean I was the tipping point?  Please correct me on that if i am mistaken.  If true however i do find that difficult to believe, so is it possible to verify that for me? 

Supposing it is true, then it speaks volumes about your infrastructure/monitoring/planning/administration/staff training/support/ITIL and so on.  However there appears to be another issue now.  No one has answered my question satisfactorily nor pointed me to a person (not a recording) who can. 

I did not appreaciate the phone number you gave me in your post.  It lead directly to a set of options aimed for people moving house, disconnecting service, or canceling the service.  Again please correct me if i am wrong.   There was a fourth option to speak to someone, which then lead straight back to the normal optus phone support option menu.  What are you suggesting?

So we are perfectly clear can you please specify the exact menu combinations i should use with that number to speak to someone who can better inform me of my choices and possibly answer my question.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Apologies for the confusion opt-us-out and wallet72, each area/suburb can have multiple cable nodes running through it and congestion is related to the specific cable leg you're connected to and equipment at exchange/CMTS. One node may be impacted by peak slows while a neighbouring one may not. It all depends on what others are doing on your leg of cable. It is a shared medium that has finite bandwidth. 

More specifically for you opt-us-out, tech support would not know which specific node or equipment you'll be connected to until the actual install. Once that's complete, your modem would authenticate and we can pull those details from the connection data. Our Network team do monitor all nodes and are aware of which ones are congested and plan upgrades accordingly. It's not possible to upgrade all nodes immediately and they need to be scheduled over time. Upgrades are also inter-dependent where one area needs to be upgraded before another because of the Network layout or backend infrastructure. This is complex and the main reason why specific upgrade time-frames aren't always available.

For any customers experiencing internet problems, the first point of contact would be our tech support team on 131344 or live chat here. Standard troubleshooting would need to be conducted to rule out a line fault or other issue which is causing the problem. It's possible that a service is impacted by congestion but also a line fault. The line fault will need to be fixed to providethe most stable connection possible.

If the line is fine and the only issue is congestion then you can speak with our Billing team on 133937 or live chat again here to discuss any adjustments on a case by case basis.

The other option is to speak with our Retention/Cancellations team on 1300555241 and discuss options on your contract if you were thinking of moving to another internet provider.

Contributor wallet72
Contributor

Thanks for the info. 

I won't drag this out anymore, I still stand by my belief that Optus should be proactive in this - the old business model of waiting for people to complain is going to cost Optus customers.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

I can totally understand that wallet72 and we've passed along the suggestion to our management team.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much Nghi for clarifying the situation.  It goes a long way to suggesting why i possibly wasnt made aware of the congestion at the time of signup.   In terms of connection issues, currently since the router swap i havent experienced any.  If i have any further quries complaints regarding this specific signup/congestion issue i'll contact billing directly.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes i am with wallet72 on this.  I think Optus could have been more proactive and transparent with this one.  Though overall the support has come through and indeed was very prompt in most cases.

0 Kudos