cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Re: DNS settings changes for Sagemcom F@st 3864 v2 router

Hey OzzyRookie - where are you seeing these details? Our techs on 131344 will be able to check what's happening with your drop outs. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor OzzyRookie
Occasional Contributor

This was found on the statistics page after logging in to the modem . I have since purchased a Billion 7800NXL and done a manual configuration setup using the info from the Optus site and what do you know , no more dropouts . I think there is a problem with Optus providing equipment and advertising so called easy setup when it is clearly conflicting in it's DNS configuration and is locked to users and Optus provides no support . I am hoping that this is only a fault in my modem and not a greater problem . Tech case has been raised for speed issues as the Billion has given me a little  better speed and more reliable wifi but still not enough to stream the free online content that is offered . Dropouts fixed but speed still poor . Let's see if Optus can step up to the plate and provide what i paid for . 

RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Appreciate you're frustrated - can certainly look at your individual options if you give us a call on 131344 OzzyRookie. Thanks!

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

You can change the default password for the SagemCom Modem.

Go to the router's IP address in your internet browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera etc)

I believe that the default address is 192.168.0.1

Click on the ADVANCED option down the left hand side

Then click on MANAGEMENT

Then click on ACCESS CONTROL

You can then change the password - and that will keep your kids out of the router.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The Fritzbox modems have all sorts of features built into them including a VOIP adapter and a DECT server so you can use DECT phones on a VOIP connection with no need for another DECT master station. They also have wireless and VPN support and you can change the DNS settings to point the router to OPENDNS or another DNS server.

Basically the SagemCom modem is a crippleware modem which makes it easier for Optus to support as there are not enough options for you to stuff it up too much.

In fact almost any modem available on the open market can probably do what you want to do. Usually you can go to the manufacturer's website and pick a modem and download a copy of the manual. So you can then read what the modem can and can't do before you purchase one just to make sure that you don't get another "crippleware" modem.

0 Kudos
New Contributor ajsn
New Contributor

Seriosuly Open DNS is not advanced!  There is now way to find any info prior to recieving the moden to make a judgment call!  Not being able to run Open DNS is stupid and is not an advanced feature! 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Hardwaregus
Occasional Contributor

That Sagems modem is extremely poor !   I have had one active for a bit over 24 hours and had 2 or 3 dropouts already.  Hardly what i would call reliable.    A previous modem for adsl that was supplied would never sync at all.  They are rubbish no doubt about it .  I am beginning to feel not so happy.  Especially when i found out i couldnt reset the dns settings.  Any modem you can purchase has this capability, with exception of the one supplied by Optus.  As somebody said there are some good points to the service but this modem is the cheapest and nastiest manoey can buy.  Not much money i would assume though !

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hmmm - you definitely shouldn't be experiencing drop outs, @Hardwaregus, especially with a brand new modem. 😞 Have you been in touch with our Technical Support team yet? Sounds like it's worth having the line checked out just in case it wasn't the modem causing the dropped connection.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Tech_guy
New Contributor

The standard login is a basic user. Below is the steps to access the super user admin account on the Sagemcom router.

1. Login to your router
  2. on the white part of the screen on the right side, right click and click view source, or view frame source.
  3. in this code, look for pwdAdmin = 'xxxxx' where the x characters are the password - copy this
  4. in the address bar, browse to 192.168.0.1/main.html?loginuser=0
  5. use admin as the user name and paste the copied password in
  6. You will now find more settings then you can poke a stick at - browse to Advanced Settings, DNS, DNS server and you can add your own DNS settings (I use 8.8.8.8)

I am very disappointed that OPTUS are providing advice that the only option is to spend more money when its a simple password that they just have to give out...

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I think that this option to locate the admin password only works on some models of the sagemcom crippleware modem as there is no instance of the word admin or pswadmin in my page source - unless only shows in one particular page?

1. Login to your router
  2. on the white part of the screen on the right side, right click and click view source, or view frame source.
  3. in this code, look for pwdAdmin = 'xxxxx' where the x characters are the password - copy this
    (use the FIND option in your browser to locate it)
  4. in the address bar, browse to 192.168.0.1/main.html?loginuser=0
  5. use admin as the username and paste the copied password in
  6. You will now find more settings than you can poke a stick at - browse to Advanced Settings, DNS, DNS server and you can add your own DNS settings (I use 8.8.8.8)
0 Kudos