Searching...
Highlighted

DNS settings changes for Sagemcom F@st 3864 v2 router

Timj

Hi,

I have a new Sagemcom F@st 3864 v2 with my home internet and phone bundle. I would like to change the DNS settings as I would like to run a parental filtering system thorugh 'open DNS'. Could someone direct me how to change the DNS settings 

cheers

Tim

Re: DNS settings changes for Sagemcom F@st 3864 v2 router

Hollie

Hi Tim,

There are some parental features on our Sagemcom modem router but there is no ability to change DNS settings. If you're looking for more parental filtering then what is offered on our modem firmware, it may be worth having a look into some third party parental control programs or a third party modem/router, please note third party software or hardware is not supported by us and you would need to engage the manufacturer for support. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

dbatkin36

I have the same issue and if I cannot change the DNS records devices on my network use then I will either a) have to move to another router that I am able to manage myself or b) I will cancel the optus service and demand a full refund. So that I may  try option a) first , please suggest a make and model of another router I can buy that will allow me to adjust the settings for DNS. I also have phone (DECT) and so the router needs to support this.

Also who in Optus will give me the configuration settings for this modem once i have it ?

Thanks, David

Tris

Advanced settings such as DNS settings aren't supported by us dbatkin36. Sorry, we'd be unable to assist with this. If you purchase a router, the manufacturer should be able to help out though

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

nayyarv

It is a joke that DNS is suddenly considered an advanced setting. Especially since you can set up DDNS, NAT, DHCP servers etc. 

What I've done is to disable WIFI and DHCP and connect the Sagemcom router to my existing router. Now my problem is getting my DDNS to work, especially since I have to use DynDNS.org (a paid-only service) from the Sagemcom. Other than that, everything works, but not satisfactorily.

SirBrendan

Hi Optus, 

I agree you can change DNS settings on a device BUT my kids know how to do that so it kind of defeats the purpose. For that matter, they know how to access the router and you cannot change the default password so there is no security there either. 

The DNS setting is locked up in the router. Can you please provide the following, 

Password to access the DNS setting

Password to change the security of the router to prevent the kids accessing it. 

Thank you. 

Jax_K

@SirBrendan, this isn't something we provide support for or can assist with sorry. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

dddwilliams

Why? Why would Optus lock out changing the DNS, to call that advanced is ridiculous. I don't understand why ISP's provide such plain awful hardware to provide their services, it is where the majority of tech support issues arrive from! Manufacturers make high end routers and all sorts of high performance gear for a reason, embrace the customer that already has or is willing to buy these and help them get the basics working it is not hard! I never had this issue with Internode, i had what i had they helped me where they needed to or otherwise could. That is the attitude to have! Not a flat refusal with a baseless explannation as to why or why not! Google's DNS is rated as the best for a reason! I have a unique network and setup along with a VPN so my reasons for wanting to change the DNS are different to most on here mine is for performance and reliability issues, if it wasn't for NBN's fixed wireless modem lacking UNI-V ports and most providers yet to use those for the NBN phone side of things and if Asus made or eventually makes a router that has VOIP ports the sagemcom @fast3864 would stay in it's box stashed away as an emergency spare, it really is only a very basic device, the wifi is terrible it's reliability even worse mine often hangs, i oly use it for the phone side of things and so far that experience has been unacceptable! So how about a reasonable open and honest answer as to why the DNS settings and so many others are locked out on the Sagemcom? I am going to enlist Sagemcoms help to try circumvent this in my case, you do realise their is cases where a customer could take this to the TIO and have a contract torn up and go to a different provider over something so trivial, in my case you offer me things no other provider can at the moment which is a plus but to have such trivial negatives taking away from the overall experience i really fail to understand the reasoning behind it!

Nghi

Can totally understand you are unhappy with the features included with the supplied Optus modem dddwilliams. On our end all we provide is a connection to the internet and provision a mode/router to achieve that. We make no claims or guarantees that advanced features in the modem will work or provide any support for them sorry Smiley Sad Once our modem has authenticated connection and setup backend systems then you can connect up your own router directly to NBN box and use any features of own device.

OzzyRookie

If there is no support for these modem routers supplied by Optus then who do i contact to find out why my primary and secondary DNS showing in the device info screen on the Sagemcom F@st3864v2 are not what Optus website settings are showing . Sagemcom modem shows Primary DNS Server as 198.142.235.14 opposed to Optus info as Primary DNS Server 211.29.132.12  ???? . Sagemcom modem shows Secondary DNS Server as 211.29.132.12 opposed to Optus info as Secondary DNS Server 198.142.0.51 ???? . As these show clearly that there is incorrect setting information i am looking to get advice on the possibility that this may be a cause of my very slow speed and frequent dropout problems with my new connection . Any help appreciated thanks . 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
51 Kudos
50 Kudos
30 Kudos
20 Kudos