Searching...
Highlighted

Credit for time that fixed broadband is down/offline

rakelsen

How do I go about arranging a credit for the time that my fixed broadband connection is down/offline/disconnected?

It has failed twice this month, and so Optus need to credit me for approximately 15 hours that it has been down.

I'm not getting what I'm paying for, and my patience is wearing quite thin.

At this point, unless Optus do something to fix the problem with their cable network (which was the best network available at one point), I'll be switching.

A 15+ year customer... gone...

Re: Credit for time that fixed broadband is down/offline

petergdownload

$80 / 720 hours (in a month) * 15 hours down = $1.60 credit?

FWIW you're not paying for a 100% up connection. Residential plans are expected to have occasional downtime. If you wanted to enter into a service agreement to ensure proper compensation for defined events (like downtime) then you'd need to be paying several $100 more a month for that service.

It's possible Optus Customer service will give you a $20 credit for the downtime but it is at their discretion. Unfortuantely using your feet is probably your main recource. The good news is that with the NBN arriving for you over the next two years you will have a choice of any RSP and not just Optus (or Telstra cable). But that might still be a little way off.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

rakelsen

Put simply:  I'm paying for a fixed connection to the internet.  That's not what I'm getting.

Regarding the amount... You think it's petty?  They charge a fee for a paper bill and credit card payments.  Who is truly the petty party here?

That aside, their service has degraded to the point where it is almost unusable between 6pm and midnight.

At one point, it was great.  I had the best internet connection among my peers.  Now it's by far the worst.

AussieBB, here I come.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

No provider can give 100% up time. All you can do is purchase 'insurance' in the form of performance agreements. You'll still get downtime but you will be compensated. Put simply, you haven't done this.

I don't think $1.60 is petty at all and as you say neither does Optus. I was just calculating the amount likely due (If Optus agree to compensate you - usually they'll give some credit to the 'squeaky wheel'). Its up to you how much time and effort you want to spend chasing it down.

Are you with the NBN already? If so would happily recommend ABB as a possible RSP. Not least because they offer true month to month contracts. So if you don't like their performance you can always move on with ease.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Haiyan

3 days down and counting. I'm sure I've got a better chance than your 15 hours worth of outage...

Would you call up billing to get a credit arranged? Calling up the support line was useless, you just get to register your mobile number to get SMS updates. (None have arrived for 2 days so far...)

Haiyan

Well, Optus cable was fixed about 2 hours ago. I like how the SMS I just got said it will be fixed by morning Smiley Happy

Toomey

@Haiyan glad to hear you're back up and running. You can speak with the billing team via Live Chat or 133937. They will confirm the fault noted on your account and can provide a pro-rata adjustment for any periods of 24+ hours with no usage on the line during the fault. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
74 Kudos
50 Kudos
45 Kudos
30 Kudos
16 Kudos