Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Fred2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Cordless Home phone displays incorrect time

Hi guys,

My Panasonic cordless home phone Model KX-TGA830AZ is set to “network time”. I live in QLD and this year when daylight saving time came in the home phone now displays NSW time & not QLD time. The phone is about 10 years old and has always worked until this year. Optus’s “technical support” has had the fault for about four or more weeks and don’t seem to be able to fix this fault. They claim that it is a fault with the cordless phone. I have taken this phone to a neighbour’s house and it works perfectly there. Bring the phone home and it changes back to NSW time after the first incoming call. The fault is definitely not with the cordless phone but Optus’s “Tech Support” refuses to accept that. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cordless Home phone displays incorrect time

Its your phone. Nothing to do with Optus. Set it to manual time. Problem solved.
0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @Fred2, if you switch Network time off then does it work fine? Have you still got your cordless phone manual on you? Is there any other time settings on the phone that needs to be updated? Like in some phones you need to go into date / time or clock settings and select time zone as Australian Central Daylight Time. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
Its your phone. Nothing to do with Optus. 

If the phone is set to use network time then Optus provides the time via Calling Number Display data.

Set it to manual time. Problem solved.

Sure, if the phone has proper support for time zones and Daylight Savings Time, otherwise you have to manually change it twice a year.

And without network time you also have to worry about clock drift.

0 Kudos
Fred2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I’m sorry but that advise is not correct and more importantly you are not seeing the problem. Yes I can set the phone to manual time and that can solve a problem and be an alternate solution but it does not fix THE problem. Home phones can and are set to “network time” for a good reason. If the power goes out to the house the clock on the phone will reset to 12pm when the power comes back on. When the power does comes back on the time will then be incorrect set if the phone is set to manual time.  If the phone is set to “network time” the phone will automatically get set to the correct time on the next incoming call.  This is an important distinction. Having the phone set to network time means that all incoming calls will get correctly date and time stamped. This phone is not at fault and has been tested at another premises off the Optus network and it performs flawlessly. The problem is with the Optus network and or the Optus equipment.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"The problem is with the Optus network and or the Optus equipment."

It may very well be but what you're not getting is that Optus have no obligation to support every random piece of equipment that people plug into their network.

There are a myriad of reasons your device might not be working but that's not for Optus to fix. You can ask but if Optus says no then that's where the matter ends I'm afraid. 

Solutions for the issue could include:

1) Getting a battery backup

2) Resetting the manual time after a power outage.

3) Buying a new device

4) Getting another RSP

5) Get rid of the device (people can ring back later)

6) Move to NSW

7) Do the mental calculation and add/minis an hour from the displayed time during DLS

0 Kudos
Fred2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I cannot believe what I am reading here in these posts. I have clearly stated that there is a fault which is in the Optus network or within the Optus provided equipment. I have clearly stated that there is NO fault with the cordless phone, which has been tested outside of the Optus network at another premises (more than one in fact). Yet the suggested solution is to buy another home phone or move to NSW !  Where is the testing on Optus’s behalf and the proof that proves that the fault lies within my equipment (none). My equipment worked on the Optus network for the last seven years prior to this year but this year it does not. Please explain to me how you can rationalise that the fault is within my equipment and what gives Optus the right to walk away from a fault within their own equipment ?

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Definitely appreciate where you're coming from @Fred2 as manually adjusting the time isn't exactly a fix. 

How is your home phone connected? Are you using Optus NBN? Have you tried factory resetting your Optus modem to see if that helps resolve the issue? 

If you've had the run around with our Tech Support team, you're more than welcome to send a PM to the Official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page and the team can take a closer look into this for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Fred2
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes I am connected to the Optus network via an Optus NBN service via a fibre to the home connection.  I have extensively dealt with Optus level one and level two “technical support” staff that have supposedly looked at the NBN modem “up dated it” and “reset it” and “fixed the fault” several times over the last few weeks. None of which I think is remotely true. I don’t believe that I have spoken (or at least text) with any person who has any technical skills or knowledge at all. If it isn’t in the script on the computer they read off it seems that it can’t be fixed.  Have I had the run around ? That’s an understatement !  It seems that the Optus philosophy is to grind their customers into the dirt until their customer gives up and goes away. “Why fix something when we don’t have to, they’ll go away eventually” 

0 Kudos
Nard_YC

Ah I see, @Fred2. I'm sorry to learn about the experience you've had dealing with our Support Teams so far. This definitely isn't the customer service we strive for nor is this the impression we want to be giving our customers when they're trying to get assistance with their issues. 

As we're unable to access account details on YesCrowd, we recommend that you reach out to our Facebook or Twitter team via the links I've provided above, they'll be able to take a closer look into this for you and see if there are any other steps or actions we can take to have this resolved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos