Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cooling Off Period

Hey,

What is the cooling off period for home wireless broadband service? I bought this 24 month home wireless service two days ago the service is terrible. Considering I was told by Optus that my address is covered by 4G service, loading a simple page takes ages. I ran few speed tests and it's leass than 0.5 Mbps. Called Optus few times and every time after one hour waiting  got nothing out of it.

I am really disappointed and want cancell my contract.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Cooling Off Period

Hi,

I don't think there is in your case as you applied for the service.

You may have to investigate external mimo antennas Or of course way up the cost of cancelling. 

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The cooling off period only applies if Optus contacted you to make the sale?

That said, if you are getting such poor perfomance then you are entitled to exit your contract. Write a letter to Optus Complaints stating your issue and that you want to end the contract. If they can't resolve the issue then forward the letter to the TIO and they should act on your behalf.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am in the same boat. Started 24 months contract with optus 60$/month ON 23rd August 2017. Such a low speed that i cant even do browsing online from 7 to 11 pm. When asked to optus,  they mentioned usage in your area is causing congestion....  On speed test 4Mbps... and even 1.5Mbps at 10 pm.  Cant even access my office files. There should be a cooling off period for customer so they might not trapped in such contracts for 2 years.... Optus... if u cant  provide the service what you claim, better shut down your so called best services.... Really disappointed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@MaxAllen

Optus offers unlimited downloads to all its customers (even those paying $60 a month). Severe congestion is not only likely but inevitable IMO. 

As I said above the statutory laws are quite clear when it comes to Optus obligation to provide a service fit for use and as advertised. ACMA said as much in a recent public rebuke to all Telcos. If you're unhappy with the speeds during peak hour (and I would be with those speeds) then you can request the contract be ended. Optus should be amenable to the exit without penalty.

If you can't get Optus to agree then a complaint to the TIO should be effective.

Optus isn't alone in struggling to manage congestion. In this current climate I wouldn't be joining any NBN plan that wasn't month to month.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos