Searching...

Continual internet dropouts over WIFI with Netgear CG3000v2 router

tyrone

For months we've had issues with our router (Netgear CG3000v2) where the WIFI will stay conntected but the connection to the internet will drop out and no browsers will be able to resolve any remote (internet) connections.

This happens at least once every 10 minutes, no joke. Oddly you can still usually access the router at 192.168.0.1 during this time and check that the actual connection to the internet is fine. The only solution to this problem is disconnecting from the wifi and reconnecting again, which will allow you to access the internet again for a short period of time before it happens again. Smiley Sad

This happens on all the laptops in the house, which behave fine when we are at work, so we know it is not our devices causing the issue. I've tried everything, from moving the WIFI channel through the range to changing wifi modes and security to no avail, it doesn't matter if you are right next to the router, the issue will still occur. It doesn't appear in the event logs on the router configuration.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here and how it can be fixed? It's incredibly frustrating to have to continually disconnect and reconnect the router over and over again.

Cheers,

Tyrone

Re: Continual internet dropouts over WIFI with Netgear CG3000v2 router

[ Edited ]
nbn

Hi @tyrone,

I had the Netgear CG3000v2 before I was mandated to migrate to the NBN last month.

Firstly, have you tried to contact Optus via telephone RE: this? Sometimes the dropouts could be infrastructure-related (e.g., congestion on the network and/or cabling from the router to the street may be impacted - I say this from previous experience, especially if your Cable service has lasted for >10 years). As laptops are being used, what happens when the Wi-Fi drops out? Does using the Ethernet cable enable you to access the internet (and not just to the modem/router IP Address)?

I would like to ask what happens when you use mobile devices (i.e., Androids, iPhones / iPads, etc.)? Have you tried releasing and renewing the IP configurations on your laptops manually via Command Prompt? I pulled the below from another thread that I replied to, in case you were wondering how to do just that:

Spoiler
If your PC / Mac is already connected to the modem (either by Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi), you may need to release and renew the IP configurations (for PC [provided you are an Administrator of the PC in question], run (open) Command Prompt and type in the following commands:

ipconfig /release

[ENTER] [WAIT FOR PROMPT TO FINISH]

ipconfig /renew

[ENTER] [WAIT FOR PROMPT TO FINISH]).*

An example of what you may see when the above is typed into Command Prompt - using Windows 7 SP1- can be found below (heads up - not my actual screenshot for privacy reasons):
Windows 7 IPConfig Release and Renew DEMO Screenshot

Another idea (though not as necessary as the above solution) would be to flush the Domain Name Server (DNS) Resolver Cache. To do this (while Command Prompt is still open from the above step), type the following command:

ipconfig /flushdns

[ENTER] [WAIT FOR PROMPT TO FINISH].

An example of what you may see when the above is typed into Command Prompt - using Windows 8 - can be found below (heads up - not my screenshot for privacy reasons):
Windows 8 IPConfig FlushDNS Command Prompt

Hope this helps; if it did, feel free to give this a +Kudos!

Kind regards,

-Terry.

* I assumed that laptop refers to a PC, not a Mac (from experience, Mac users tend to specify that they are using such a device)!

Did this post help? Feel free to give a +Kudos!
Did this post solve your query? Feel free to mark this as the
Accepted Solution!

tyrone

Hi @nbn,

No we have not yet tried to contact Optus via phone on this because our previous experience with Optus technical support has not been great. I'll attempt to get in touch with them tomorrow.

In the meantime, the WiFi itself does not actually "drop out". All devices remain connected, and internet access stops working on a device by device basis (still "connected" to the WiFi) some arbitrary length of time after connecting again. Other devices are able to access the internet during this time.

Mobile devices do not appear to experience the issue as much as our laptops (which are actually Macs lol).

Releasing and renewing the IP configurations as you suggested (although different method for Mac) does actually appear to have the same effect as disconnecting and reconnecting from the wifi, restoring internet access! But shortly after (seemingly arbritrary) again the issue will reoccur and you will be forced to either release and renew or disconnect and reconnect to restore access again.

I suspect the router itself is faulty on a local network level, but not entirely sure.

Any other ideas anyone?

Many thanks,

Tyrone

Casey_

Hey Tyrone, happy to look into your service for you if you can PM us your account details, DOB and full name. 

tyrone

PM'd!

AlexRH

Awesome, I've just replied Smiley Happy 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

nbn

Hi @tyrone,

Apologies for the mix-up.

Okay, since this is take two (my original post did not go through because Yes Crowd underwent maintenance at the time), there may be one or two things missing from here. In any case, I have a few additional suggestions for you to try:

1. Check to see that your Macs are not in Airplane Mode (this step has been placed for other users - in case they are perusing this guide), and ensure it remains off until you actually need to turn it on (e.g., when you're actually flying);
  2. Run Wireless Diagnostics, and follow the on-screen prompts;
  3. Check to see that your DNS and/or Proxy Settings have not been altered by VPNs (yes, I'm asking you to check you DNS Settings again), and, if they have, set them back to their default settings (i.e., remove custom DNS Settings and turn off Proxies - unless you need them for your VPN);
  4. Go to work one day with one of your Macs, and see if you have similar issues using your Work Wi-Fi - you can also use this time to see if your workplace IT Technician can help you with your Mac (this idea still applies if you study at a TAFE/University);
  5. Clear all customised Wi-Fi Settings (and, in doing so, delete all existing Wi-Fi Profiles - if you do this, ensure you back up the login details for the Wi-Fi Profiles you delete), as some custom settings may impact on your ability to connect to your Home Wi-Fi;
  6. Clear your Internet browser(s)' cookies/caches, and other files where warranted (no need to delete saved passwords, etc., unless you want to);
  7. If all else fails, restart your Mac and modem (this may close off any error-causing programs) and try again;
  8. You can always back up your modem configuration settings, and then factory-reset your modem.

Optus' Cable Broadband telephone is 1300 300 693 (heads up: ensure that the landline/mobile you are using includes 1300 numbers as part of your plan), though I note moderators have since been in contact with you regarding this.

If this ended up helping you, feel free to give this a +Kudos!

-Terry.

Accepted Solution!

wallet72

Hey mate,

have exactly the same problem, and I've had three Optus routers over the last few weeks and the WIFI problem doesn't go away. 

What I did to fix it was go buy myself a reasonably priced wireless access point, plug it into the Optus router (in bridged mode) and disabled the Optus router wifi. I've had no problems since.

FYI, I did contact Optus about this - after being told it was the device I was using I just gave up. It's a stupid answer when you think there's 12 different devices with different hardware all suffering the same problem, it's a bit tough to blame them all.

nbn

Hey @wallet72,

Feel free to send one of the modems my way; I personally would rather be using Netgear over Sagemcom! Smiley LOL

In all seriousness, I thought I'd clarify your post by saying your Optus modem is connected to your BYO router via Ethernet cable (as your Optus modem's Wi-Fi is switched off); this connection, therefore, makes it Access Point Mode. Bridging Mode is connecting the Optus modem to your BYO router via Wi-Fi signal (i.e., the router repeats the modem's Wi-Fi signal).

Hope this clears the air (if it does, feel free to give this a +Kudos)! Smiley Happy

-Terry.

Accepted Solution!

kharle11

Hi all,

I have the exact issue with this router (Netgear CG3000v2). Anyone has a solution so the wifi does not dropout so frequently or not dropping out at all

Thanks,

Carl

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
28 Kudos