cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor Azura-Skye
Occasional Contributor

Constant connection issues.. modem lights flickering madly.. been getting worse for weeks!

I have been an Optus customer for over 15 years now. I have an unlimited data plan using an ADSL SAGEMCOM modem. For the past few weeks I have been having constant internet connection issues.. one minute it's working fine then the internet & wifi lights will start flickering like mad & I won't be able to connect to anything. I have rung customer service & have using live chat, but the foreign operators keep wanting to do line test after line test.. booting me off the chat so that I have to start over again.. each time having to input my personal details & repeat what the problem is. A Telstra technician was called out to check, but he said it was NOT a line issue.. that if it was, the DSL light would flicker or go out.. but it is stable. On the Optus outages page, it says there may be interruption to services between the 29th of November & the 16th of December, but they INSIST that's for cable customers. So I ask you.. what is going on? It is so frustrating to be in the middle of doing something important on the computer or engrossed watching something on Netflix & then all of a sudden the internet drops out.. sometimes for hours on end. I turn the modem on & off several times a day, but it doesn't help. If someone can't explain what's going on & fix the problem, then I'm going to have to look at changing over to Telstra.. even if it does cost me more every month.. but at least I would have a reliable service!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Constant connection issues.. modem lights flickering madly.. been getting worse for weeks!

Have you tried another modem?

Have you tried to factory reset and re-setup the S@GEMCOM to make sure its not faulty?

If you've done this and its still the "WiFi" dropping out, then you need to ask Optus to consider replacing it, assuming its still in warranty.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Azura-Skye
Occasional Contributor

Re: Constant connection issues.. modem lights flickering madly.. been getting worse for weeks!

I tried changing the modem the last time I had this problem.. it never did anything. I'm not doing it again as I don't want to have to stuff around changing passwords for everything connected to it. 

If it were the modem, the technician would've told me to replace it when he came here. He said according to the light patterns, that it is a NETWORK issue. And I trust his opinion WAY more than the useless foreign idiots that keep wanting to "test the line" .. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor VinceChu
Occasional Contributor

This absolutely sounds the same as my issues.
I posted another query almost identical in symptoms as yours just a while ago.
I am wondering if it could be a software issue on the modem itself?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The problem here is, a "NETWORK ISSUE" (ie: within the Optus network) does not cause "WiFi" issues, so whomever told you that your WiFi light flickering is caused by an Optus network problem, has unfortunately been disingenuous towards to you.

The fact you said "You tried" another modem and the problem continued, makes me ask the following question:

Are you connecting to the WiFi provided by the S@GEMCOM or something else? Because replacing the DSL modem (Which is inside the S@GEMCOM would most likely clear up the fault).

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Contributor NotHappyGF
Contributor

This won't help with your connection issues, but I can confirm how frustrating Optus actually is. I had a tree branch take my phone and internet down and although it was physically broken, they (the support staff overseas) were insistent that they run line tests to test the connection. I continually told them that the line is physically broken and I can send them a photo of me holding the broken end of the line if they like and I was told that they had to go through protocols. I experienced the same problem of being disconnected and going through the same explanation each time. Anyway, a Telstra technician came and reconnected the line 4 days later and it worked for 2 weeks and now it's out again. Our internet speed has been poor for many years and I might have to bite the bullet too and go with Telstra at a higher price but hopefully better service. 

0 Kudos