Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Constant Headache

Since September I have been an Optus customer, after installation all ran smoothly, few drop outs here and there but nothing out of the ordinary. Recently I was asked to change my service over to the NBN, receiving a letter saying that my cable service would be disconnected if I didn't change. All good, I called Optus and made the order without any problems. A few days passed and my neigbour tells me she has lost home phone connection (we live in a separate dwelling behind the main house but it is registered through council with all its own connections), I called Optus and they informed me that they had cut the line to make way for the NBN, my question/concern is why would Optus cut a line that wasn't connected to any of their services (my neighbor is with telstra), since then I have been on called Optus and been on Live Chat for numerous hours, and been informed that NBN is not available at my property and the reason I received letters is that my address is worng in their system. My internet was cut off for 5 days and I was told I could not be connected back to my cable service after the NBN connection was made. I was forced to go to an Optus store as I was bounced from department to department on the phone and on Live Chat without getting any answers. I just want someone to sort out my account and give me some actual answers to what is going on and how to rectify the problems.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Constant Headache

What kind of NBN service is going through your street? 

If it's FTTN/FTTC and there is no telephone cable being fed from the street to your divided premise. That would explain why NBNCo's technician disconnected the wrong address. They most likely do not have the divided address on file with NBNCo and hence the problem.

The rule about "not reconnecting" is an NBNCo/Law problem, and this is a problem across the country. Once we know what service type you were supposed to get, we can give you some pointers on moving forward.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds like a shamozzle. Raises a number of issues.

1) IME Optus is not good at dealing with the NBN co. Finding someone to take ownership of this problem and sort it will be hard (mods here are an exception)

2) Optus live chat can give different answers so take what one says about what has happened and why with a grain of salt.

3) a new law was put in place this year by acma that means your provider can't disconnect you before they have confirmed the NBN is active and working. Penalties apply. They must reconnect you quickly to. Unfortunately reconnect might mean to ADSL or mobile broadband until NBN does arrive.

4) That said the cut cable thing seems unlikely. NBN co don't cut cables. In fact they don't use Optus cables at all. Optus likewise would just deactivate your signal. 

5) have you tried you address into the NBN co website and does it say you are active? And what technology are you getting? Cable? Fttc?

6) not sure what is going on with the neighbour but I would keep the two issues seperate. Get your house sorted and they can get theirs. 

7) fwiw you don't deal with the NBN. You deal with Optus and Optus sort the NBN. So just focus on getting Optus to sort your internet which is what they have promised to do

Good luck

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hi @samuelboyle17

Answers to some of @petergdownload's questions would give us a great starting point. 

Definitely check out NBN's roll out map so we know which NBN access technology type is being used in the area.

As @Jeneral__Pain has suggested, the incorrect line may of been cutover due to an address error on NBN or our side, it's hard to tell without going in and taking a closer look.

If you like, feel free to message us with your details. Your full name, DOB and account number would be great. We're fairly quiet on our end, so we're happy to go back and forth with you over PM 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos