Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor berzem53
New Contributor

Constant Access Denied on select sites

Hi Folks,

Reaching out to anyone who might help as Optus Support has been giving us the run around for several months (all whilst charging us full price for their service).

When we visit select sites such as smh.com.au, target.com.au etc as well as trying to access the Playstation Network we get an access denied error. It looks something like this:

access.JPG

It's not all sites either.

Just some information. We are are on Optus Cable. If I use a VPN (such as the one with opera) these sites work. I've tried all the standard reset processes as well as other browsers. If we plug the modem directly in to the computer it works but Optus won't investigate or replace the router. 

Please help, anyone from Optust or the Community

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Constant Access Denied on select sites

It is a strange one. And buy strange I does seem to be a localised issue. 

Good news is that hopefully means its fixable on your end.

You seem to have a pretty savy/complex setup (Opera / VPN / etc.)

I'm not sure what you mean by plugging the modem directly into the PC? So the issue only occurs over wifi?

Two thoughts I have are any parental controls set on the modem? Also try set the DNS servers to something like 8.8.8.8 (Google)

Generally for debugging anything like this get something that works and then slowly add other things until its broken (to find out what broke it).

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor berzem53
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify. We have a cable modem which is plugged in to a router/modem which is ready for when NBN comes in the area. If I plug the ethernet cable directly into the PC it works but if I go via the router, it reverts to the error. As I need wifi for things like PSN, laptop etc. it is only temporary fix.

I will try your other suggestion though.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The router would seem to be the issue then. 

Did you say you factory reset it? As mentioned check parental controls on it and set DNS to 8.8.8.8.

But otherwise just buy/borrow a cheap ($50) router and plug that in instead. 

I don't think the issue is at the Optus end, something is going awry with the router.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@berzem53 did Optus supply the router as well?

@petergdownload Optus supply some customers with 2x modem routers these days to provide AC WiFi rather than upgrading the original modem/router to AC. I suspect that's the case here so it's an Optus issue just not so much an issue in their back end systems. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
New Contributor berzem53
New Contributor

Yes @SamSam it is an Optus supplied device but they seem unwilling to replace and it’s well within a warranty opinion. They keep giving us we are working on it routine

@petergdownload did the factory reset but changing the dns seems restricted.

thank you both for your help, hopefully someone on high from Optus might notice it

0 Kudos
Top Contributors