cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Connectivity to Minecraft Server

• I've built  a minecraft server for the kids in the cloud and its running on port 25565 but i'm unable to connect to it from anywhere in the house running minecraft on the kids tablets and tried from my phone - all connected to the optus wifi.
  • I put in the server IP settings and port and just get a red dot.

I can telnet from my desktop fine :

hostname:~$ telnet 139.x.x.x 25565
Trying 139.x.x.x...
Connected to 139.x.x.x.
Escape character is '^]'.

Ideas ?

i have 

F@ST™  3864

thx.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Connectivity to Minecraft Server

When you say "a cloud server", is this on your own home network or somewhere on the internet? 

If it's on the internet, then the F@ST modem isn't doing anything but connecting you to the internet and isn't "at fault", it's possible the server its hosted on is blocking the random port number you have chosen.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

a cloud server - is a separate server outside (eg AWS)

As shown in the initial post it appears i can telnet to the port on the server in the cloud.

So wanted to know if anyone else on optus cable connects sucessfully to external minecraft servers ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I've checked with Minecraft servers from my families Optus connection and have had no problem.

Telnet suggests there is no problem with the connection itself, because if Optus or the router was blocking the connection then you would see telnet also fail.

Are you sure AWS aren't blocking the non-standard port you have specified or in some way restricting connectivity to your AWS server?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos