Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
MikeKulls
New Contributor
New Contributor

Connection limits on Optus 4G

We have been using optus 4G for our home internet for several years and it has worked quite well. Recently though we've had an issue where our Chromecasts don't work but only in the evening. It's not due to lack of bandwidth or poor signal as we can do a speed test and get reasonable speeds and when we can get it to work it doesn't buffer. What I think is happening is we are running into a limit with the number of outwards connections. I know with 4G we share an IP address and Optus implement service provider NAT. That means there are a number of users with the same IP and they all share the limit of 65535 ports. I'm thinking all the users on the same IP are exhausting the available ports. I think when that happens outwards connections start to fail. We have 50+ devices on the network that might be making outbound connections. I'm sure many don't but others would create multiple connections. Does this make sense? Any solution?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Serena_YC

Re: Connection limits on Optus 4G

Hi @MikeKulls

Just so we are on the same page, is this only occurring with your Chromecast device or are you also unable to connect to the internet on any of your devices in the evening? 

As we are unable to look into account details on this platform, I would recommend raising this with our Technical Support teams via the My Optus app so that our teams can investigate this further for you from there. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

MikeKulls
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Connection limits on Optus 4G

It's just the Chromecasts that have an issue but I think that is because they rely on opening a connection with a google server and having the server connect back in to the Chromecast. It works fine in the day but is failing every night.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors