cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Connecting wireless AP to Sagecom gateway or mergers modem

Hi there

i am installing Optus cable this week in a two story house so need a wifi router that has good range.  I’ve upgraded to the sagemcom cable gateway and am wondering if it’s possible to use my own Netgear D7000 as a wireless access point connected to either the sagecom gateway or the netgear cable modem? 

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Connecting wireless AP to Sagecom gateway or mergers modem

for optus cable internet you will get either:

The Netgear CG3000V2 or Netgear CM500V + Sagemcom F@ST 3864

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/modem-equipment-setup-user-guides-fixed-broadband?reques...

the link will give you the setup instructions. 

Once you are connected there are few ways to extend you wifi network.

Option 1: using the Sagem as the wifi router for location 1, run a network cable to your D7000 from the Sagem lan port to the D7000 Wan/internet port to the second location. You can leave the D7000 as it is, this will create 2 separate networks, might be a good thing or bad thing depending on your needs.

Option 2: is similar to option 1, this time you will configure the D7000 as an Wifi Access point by changing the setting in the D700 as per page 113 of the user guide

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7000/D7000_UM_EN.pdf 

The advantage of option 2 is that everything will be on the same network, the disavantage is that the routing or traffic controller of your network will be done by the less superior Sagem modem. 

I would go for option 2, this way you can share you printer and files etc on the same network .

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors