Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor Amarinda
New Contributor

Connecting to the node

Hello....I have had the internet connected to Optus for a while. In my area, there has been an upgrade and I needed to connected to the 'node'. I went into the optus store and did what I had to to connect to node thing. Today, I got another modem - exact same as the one I already have - with a new password and basically no intructions other than to type in 192.168.01 - which I already did setting up the last modem. Naturally when I go in there it tells me I am already connected with my original password. What I would like to know is, the new modem have a new password. Do I over type the old one and use this new one for this node thing? No one at the Optus shop seems to know anything and to be honest, my lack of faith in Optus is limited.

I would appreicate assistance. Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Connecting to the node

Sounds like you haven't been given a great deal of information which is disappointing.

The Node thing you've mentioned is more than likely switching you over from an older form of broadband onto the National Broadband Network or NBN which you would have likely have heard of from the news and other media outlets. This service is supposed to be superior to what you had already.

Normally there's some downtime between disconnecting your old service and reconnecting your new one so if you haven't noticed this yet, chances are the order you placed when you went in store hasn't gone through yet. You'll also now be required to plug your home phone (if you use one) into your modem rather than into the wall socket like you would have previously.

Onto your question about the password. If you've plugged the modem in and it's work, don't worry about changing anything else just yet. Contact Optus and advise them that you've now received the modem and want to understand which point your order is at. They should be able to tell you the next steps to take from there. 

Best of luck with it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If the modem is the same model and you haven't requested a replacement because maybe the old one faulty then I'd suggest just leaving your old modem in place.

I take it you don't have internet yet? Just ring up Optus and ask them to finish the process. They'll ask you for the model / serial number on your modem (give them your existing one) and it shuold be activated shortly thereafter.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Amarinda
New Contributor

Hi Peter

Yes, same model. I left it in place. I do have internet. They were just upgrading our area - Cairns suburbs. As for gtting hold of anyone in Optus? I have more chance of winning the lotto. But I thank you for your response. You have confirmed what I thought.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Amarinda
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. If I could actually get a hold of someone at Optus I would do that. Amyway. I have it sorted I believe now and I thank you and Peter for confirning what I thought.

0 Kudos