cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Connecting to smtp servers other than mail.optusnet.com.au

Hi there,

Made the switch to Optus Cable Broadband yesterday and everything is fine except for my emails. I have many email addresses and I run most of them through Gmail's domain mail.

In order to take advantage of the Gmail benefits, I have to send mail through Gmail's smtp servers, but since the switch to cable, I am unable to connect to smtp.google.com or smtp.gmail.com.

For non-gmail addresses, I have switched to Optus's smtp server and it works fine but I  really want to be able to connect to Google's. Is there some router configuration or Optus restriction I need to change/remove?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Connecting to smtp servers other than mail.optusnet.com.au

Hey there, try logging in through this page and you should be able to remove the outbound port 25 block. Let me know how this goes 🙂

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Ian. This is exactly what I am looking for. I have a further question about this if you don't mind.

I am a computer programmer and in my development I am often sending a lot of emails from sendmail and other services (only to @example.com or my own addresses though). Will I be violating terms of service by doing this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@rakuli wrote:

Thanks Ian. This is exactly what I am looking for. I have a further question about this if you don't mind.

@I am a computer programmer and in my development I am often sending a lot of emails from sendmail and other services (only to @example.com or my own addresses though). Will I be violating terms of service by doing this?

@The specific terms of the service can be found @ www.optus.com.au/sfoa; in terms of sending emails, and to comply with the SPAM act 2003, we do not allow mass emails to be sent. There’s no specific number as there’s many different factors which are looked at automatically on the mail server before the ability to send email may be blocked temporarily.

The best suggestion would be not to send out large numbers of group emails frequently and use small groups. For sending larger amounts of emails you could also look at an Optus Business service though this isn’t available on our Cable network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Ian,

The Link you posted here didn't work for me. Instead it comes up with a
"You must be logged in with a parent account to access this functionality." Even though I am the account holder, am over 18 and have never seen any parental control setting in my Optus account
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@john_seymour wrote:
Hi Ian,

The Link you posted here didn't work for me. Instead it comes up with a
"You must be logged in with a parent account to access this functionality." Even though I am the account holder, am over 18 and have never seen any parental control setting in my Optus account

Heya - a 'parent account' would essentially mean that you will need to use the Primary Username and Password for your service John not a secondary email address that you've also set up. If you're still seeing this error when using your Primary details then try logging out and deleting cookies & cache then try the link again. Hope this help! 🙂

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hello

Is this page still active.. I have the same issue..

I have been with optus for 3 years and have had to use the stpm.optusnet for my work email, we have now moved our business email hosting across to gmail and I would like to be able to use the stpm.gmail as it has many advantages of keeping sent messages up to date on various devises (PC & Laptop).. If I send over optusnet the message is only stored in my Outlook sent items for 1 device..

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey jsbfrazer 🙂 

I recommend speaking with our Tech Support team on 131344 or live chat to get port 25 unblocked on your service.

This will allow you to use a third-party SMTP mail server.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi there,

My work email is hosted by Net Logistics. However, I cannot send outgoing emails because Outlook isn't connecting to the server (SMTP Port 25). Can someone please help? I can recieve them!

0 Kudos