Searching...

Connecting a Router to an Optus Cable Modem (CG3000v2)

dlan4327

Hi, everybody.

I have a few queries regarding the Optus Cable modem, a Netgear CG3000v2. I have been experiencing wild fluctuations in the speed of cable internet (well documented here).

Anyway the summary is that the room with the Cable Modem located in it experiences consistently good internet speeds of around 28Mbps or 29mbps. Regardless of time of day, therefore I've concluded that the issue seems to involve the supplied Cable Modem (CG3000v2) not being able to provide a strong Wi-Fi signal to the far end of the house. Not a large distance, perhaps 10m in a straight line & that is a generous estimate.

So after many discussions and ruling out many options, my last possible solution is to buy a high powered router to plug into the cable modem. One that creates an extremely strong/robust wi-fi signal that will cover the entire house evenly. What I want to know is, how complicated is it to plug a router into a cable modem that also is a wi-fi router?

I wish to do this in the simplest, least invasive way possible. Is it possible to simply, leave the Cable Modem's Wi-Fi network on & simply choose to use the routers Wi-Fi network? I.e. Have 2 Wi-Fi networks running? Do I have to fiddle with the cable mdoems settings? I.e. Will I have to enable bridge mode under settings? Or could I literally just plug my new router in & just set it up as normal? Plug & play, so to speak. Just go to the router setup page & let it configure itself?

Re: Connecting a Router to an Optus Cable Modem (CG3000v2)

dlan4327

Thought I would add some context. I am hesistant to add a new router because, a lot of the time the back end of the house gets extremely slow speeds, i.e. 2Mbps - 3Mbps. However, in the early hours of the morning, it jumps back to 28mbps - 29Mbps in the back end of the house.

Sounds like congestion, right? Then explain why the main lounge room remains consistently at 28Mbps - 29Mbps at any time of day? The back rooms can get tremendous speed, but the speed fluctuates wildly depending on time of day. 

here's the confusing bit, if the whole house fluctuated, in terms of speed, I would say congestion. However the lounge is consistent. Now if the back end of the house was consistently low, then I'd say it's a weak Wi-Fi signal, for sure. However, in the early hours, the back end speeds match with the lounge speeds, for a while, at least?

So, which is it? Weak Wi-Fi or Network Congestion? Also it's probably not a bandwidth issue since there is really only one device in the house streaming HD at any given time. The rest are doing light browsing.

Dan_DS

Hi dlan4327, from what you've said above it definitely seems like wifi interference or weak signal. The good news is that the Netgear is easily bridged to turn it into a straight modem. You have the option of just pressing the wifi button on the front of the modem to switch off the wifi entirely, or you can put the modem into bridge mode which then makes it act like a modem with no router option.

To access the Netgear Genie interface, open your internet browser and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar where you usually enter the www address of the website you want to visit.

You will be asked for a login username and password which is listed on one of the stickers on the bottom/back of the Netgear modem.

Once in, you will see this screen:

Please be aware that once you have activated Bridge Mode, you will only have access to the 1st ethernet socket on the modem, as Bridge Mode disables the other 3 sockets. To disable Bridge Mode you will need to perform a factory reset of the modem (hold a paperclip or pin for 10 seconds in the small hole on the back of the modem).

I've had to do this in my house as well. I live in a double storey brick terrace house in Melbourne, and I had problems connecting to wifi in the upstairs rooms. Since purchasing a third party router and setting my modem into Bridge Mode though, I can even get a signal in the back courtyard and across the street on a good day Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

[ Edited ]
dlan4327

I very much appreciate the advice. You see, 90% of the time the speeds are consistent in the main living room (with the modem) & fluctuating wildly in the read end of the house. Here's where it gets tricky, around 1am & beyond in the morning, the speeds become terrific again in the back end of the house.

So I can't say for sure that it's a weak Wi-Fi signal. If it was, then how come I get full speed once it's definitely not peak hours. Yet, the lounge remains consistently high regardless of time. It's baffling. I can't tell whether it's Weak Signal or Network Congestion.

P.S. Not that it matters but why does bridging the modem disable the remaining 3 ethernet ports? That seems like a bit of a flawed design.

Pete

Hmm, have you had our faults crew check to see if congestion has been reported with your CMTS on 131344? Bridging the modem essentially turns off the router and switches it to a modem only device.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

dlan4327
Haven't called and checked for congestion. I'll do that. Also bridging the modem might be a more viable option if it is a weak wi fi signal. If it's congestion there's nothing to be done.

mulcahy38

Hi Dan,

I have done these steps but am unsure how to continue. I have a D-Link DSL 2900 DL modem/router and would like to use it as the router.

Any help would be super.

Cheers.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
dlan4327

EDIT: I just realised I think I've misread your question. I've given instructions for how to connect an external router to a standalone modem. Sorry.

I can't speak for your exact brand of modem, however the first step for me was connecting my computer to Wi-Fi via your existing modem's network. Then going to routerlogin.net in my browser. That will bring up your modem settings.

You will have to enter a password. It is probably admin for username and password for password. Those are the defaults. Once in your modems settings page, I looked for an option that says bridge mode. That's what you need to turn on to connect your modem to a router.

Once you select that, you may have to hit save or something. Your modem will reset and be in bridge mode. In bridge mode, your modem will no longer be broadcasting a wi-fi network. After that, you will need to physically go to your modem and look at the back for the Ethernet ports. They should be yellow.

Remember, in bridge mode, only the first Ethernet port on your modem will work. It should be labelled '1' if there are multiple Ethernet ports. You connect an ethernet cable to the first Ethernet port on your modem. Then connect the other end to the router, in the port labelled internet. Has to be labelled internet.

After that, turn on the router. Then connect your computer or whatever to the new wi-fi network. Remember your modems wi-fi won't exist anymore since it's in bridge mode. You'll have a new wi-fi network. The name and password should be written on the router.

Connect to that and hopefully everything should work.

Milan_Dior

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 4.43.59 pm.png

Please show me where the bridge mode selector is. I have gone through every menu several times and can't find it. Help would be much appreciated. I have an Apple Airport Time Capsule that I would like to use as the main router. I'm finding my internet way too slow with both modems on at the same time.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
66 Kudos
39 Kudos
32 Kudos
30 Kudos
18 Kudos