cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Connecting NBN to a Duplex

Can anyone give me sensible information regarding moving an NBN account to a new address which happens to be one side of a Duplex.  

The only information I get from Optus is that NBN cannot connect to "outhouses or granny flats"! The building is a 1920's purpose-built duplex on a strata plan which has never been connected to NBN, just the old phone line.

When I went to the NBN site and put the unit address in, I get, "yes, we can connect you". Optus gave me a 1800 number to speak to NBN about a connection but, once you plough your way through all their options, there's a message saying that they cannot connect because of a service issue (there's ironic for you!).  Even their option are totally unhelpful as any new 'apartment' connections are assumed to be a new build.

My present account with Optus includes Fetch which apparently doesn't work on a mobile broadband modem (I tried a friend's modem on it), so it looks like Optus will be losing me for good - NBN, Fetch and, given the peeved off feeling I have right now - my mobile account and I'll just find a mobile broadband service which includes a decent download amount. Most likely, going cold turkey off cable tv etc will be good for me.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Connecting NBN to a Duplex

Its always been a little confusing when it comes to more than one house on a property. What type of NBN technology does it have? I assume the other side is already connected?

Suggest you talk to a RSP that has more capable (and empowered) support staff. That would be Aussie Broadband. You can sort them to get your NBN connected (or tell you why not) and just keep the Optus account as is. They do month to month contracts so you can leave anytime. Once the NBN is connected then its just a phone call to change to another RSP (so you could get Optus to take over the line then)

Note the Fetch is a good unit and I recommend getting your own that isn't taken away if you leave Optus. Its $300 with a 2 year warranty from Fetch themselves on eBay. Make sure you only get it from Fetch.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Connecting NBN to a Duplex

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the other side is a rental and is empty at the moment, so I don't know who the agent is. But I will check out Aussie Broadband.
0 Kudos