cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Maggs
New Contributor

Congestion, ADSL dropouts, interference on line

After more than 12 months of constant internet drop-outs, and Optus pretending to fix the issue, we have now started to notice interference on our line and the internet being almost unusable after 6pm.  Now every Optus tech tells us line congestion is causing the problem and nothing can be done about it.  As we are 6km from the exchange, they now admit that they can't provide the unlimited internet/phone service that we were signed up for, and offered to release us from contract with no financial penalty.  Their standard suggestion is to connect to the NBN, but we can't get it yet and I haven't heard a good word about the NBN yet.

I don't want to go elsewhere, as it is likely the problems will be encountered regardless of the service provider.  I am wondering if anyone else has been ripped off by Optus like we have, and been charged the full fee for a service they now admit they could never deliver.  They knew we lived 6 k's from the exchange at the time of entering into the contract with us, and they would have known it was not possible for them to provide the same service to us that someone lest is than a kilometre from the exchange receives, yet they charged the same amount.  Is anyone who has experience the same sort of problems interested in exploring a class action lawsuit against Optus?  The only thing companies like Optus seem to worry about is losing money, so perhaps a mammoth lawsuit from customers who haven't received what they paid for will make them fix the problems.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Occasional Contributor scottle
Occasional Contributor

Re: Congestion, ADSL dropouts, interference on line

We have been experiencing similar issues.  Clearly you signed up for a service that you were not getting. At what stage did you try to get out of the agreement? I'm curious as to how long it took for OPTUS to offer to release you from your contract with no financial penalty. Did this take the full 12 months of complaints, aggravation and disappointment?

0 Kudos
New Contributor mstevensonau
New Contributor

We had the same thing happen when we first signed up almost 2 years ago. Everything was fine for a week or two and then suddenly we started to notice a marked drop in reliability in the service until it eventually just died. We were without phone for a year and internet was so slow that you could take 10 minutes to load the google page. We were locked into a contract so we couldn't churn out - even when we asked. It took them soooo long to finally admit there was an issue somewhere because every time they sent out a tech the connection would mysteriously work again. Turns out somewhere in one of the junction boxes in the street the line was cut, or barely hanging on - or whatever story they gave. It connected and off we went - I think we were credited with a free month of access. It was a year ago and so insignificant it wasnt worth noting.

But for the past month, reliability has become a joke and we are starting to see the same pattern play out when we begin to investigate the reason for the issues. Our connection speed has gradually gotten worse and worse. As I type this, the modem indicates this morning we have made connection at 510kbps - No foxtel today either, and the network itself internet worth using.

We had fetch but its primary issue was that it would buffer all the time, we just ended up putting it back in the box until the contract is up. We switched out to foxtel now about 6 months ago, which is a little more forgiving for low internet speeds but for the past month its performing no better, and worse than the fetch box.

So with that in mind, It is easier for use to just wait out the contract and move our ~$100 per month else where.

What I think upsets us more than anything else, isnt the lack of service or how much we are paying for what we signed up for. Its the fact that we are paying the company money for what should be a working, no issues service and to be treated very poorly when you raise an issue.

Whats worse. They are all the same and nobody will call them out on it.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Doesn't sound great @mstevensonau, I'm happy to go in and perform a couple of checks from my end.

I should be able to determine whether there's an issue that requires our attention. 

Can you through a private message with your account details? I'll need you to confirm your full name, DOB and account number. 

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors