cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Coppercable
Occasional Contributor

Configuring Static IP Address for Epson Wireless printer

I have an Epson wireless printer set up in my home network through the Optus supplied Sagemcom(white) modem.On my windows 8 lap top the the printer keeps going offline frequently.This is due to the printer being assigned a new IP address each time it comes on.I spoke to Epson for a solution and they advised to assign a static IP address for the printer.They advised that I should seek Optus help to reserve a IP address for the printer.Having spoken to Optus tech support I am advised this service is only available to busness cutomers.Has anyone experienced this offer ? What is the way out?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RetiredModerator Julz
RetiredModerator

Re: Configuring Static IP Address for Epson Wireless printer

Hey there Copper, 

Share your details via the form & we'll see what options are available. 

Cheers

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor retrogame
Contributor

Epson mean assigning a static IP address on your home network not from Optus. Choose an IP address in your home network range, set it on your printer as a fixed address and configure the same on your router. Epson should have helped you with this as this is an issue between the printer and the router, not an issue with your connection to Optus.
RetiredModerator Julz
RetiredModerator

Thanks for posting retrogame, really appreciate your assistance. 

Based on this Coppercable, lets give it a go. Generally we don't provide technical support for networking, however I'd be happy to get this problem sorted. 

Steps:

1. We need to know the 'port' assigned to your printer. Could be 80, could be 1024. (See step 7)
  2. You need to know how to access the advanced settings for your printer. From what I can tell, once your printer is assigned an I.P, you can access the printer settings by entering 192.168.0.?? (? = assigned address) into your browser (as if you're accessing your modem).
  3. In the printer settings change the IP settings to Static, not dynamic. 
  4. Assign an IP to your printer, it needs to be suitable. Something like 192.168.0.?? (don't assign 1, it could be the total number of computers in your network i.e 15). Please research network security & keep this in mind. 
  5. Then you'll need to access the port fowarding settings on your router, to add the printer. 
  6. Enter 192.168.0.1 into your browser > hit Advanced Settings > Advanced Set-up > NAT > Port Triggering.
  7. Add new > Enter the IP address assigned to your printer > Enter the port your printer uses > Select 'auto or both' next to 'UDP' or 'TCP'. 

Good luck, let me know how it goes. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Occasional Contributor Coppercable
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks Julz..It worked a treat!I do appreciate your going the extra mile.
RetiredModerator Julz
RetiredModerator

Awesome news, I'm happy to hear it 🙂

0 Kudos
New Contributor CarolynITb
New Contributor

Go to the epson official website and search for your printer. Download the device drivers needed to your printer. Once you download it there is an option for setup for Static IP and DHCP configuration. I recommend using static IP for all printers. Assign the IP address and subnet mask and youre good to go. Make sure your are connected to the printer and your computer via USB before you download the device drivers. I seriously went through the same thing with Epson customer "tech" support. These fools know nothing when it comes to their own printers. They kept telling me to contact my ISP for a static IP.... Im and IT Network Administrator.... I do not need to program my printer through the routers side. Which is what they were trying to tell me over and over and over again. I finally hung up and called them back with the CORRECT steps to troubleshooting this problem. 

0 Kudos