Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Jeex
New Contributor
New Contributor

Commercial quote

Hey Optus,

I currently reside in a unit on a block of three units for the past year, with a body corporate.

Neighours all around us have access to Optus cable internet and we only have ADSL availible for our properites.

I'm hoping that like Telstra a commerical quote can be provided so that Cable internet can become availible to the properties.

When searching for the property before the subdivion of the block (so not including the unit number) cable internet was availible.

I've previously asked on the forums if cable internet can become availible but I never asked for a commercial quote on getting it completed.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Commercial quote

Probably not likely - Optus has the following rules (taken from mod post on another thread).

- We're unable to service a block with 3 or more MDU'S (multi dwelling unit).

- The drop cable must not pass through a neighbour’s address boundary point

- We must have spare ports available on the tap

- The drop cable must not extend beyond 50 meters from your closest power pole. 

As the network is now owned by NBN, and will be defunct when NBN goes live in your area with their own gear its not worth it.

0 Kudos
Jeex
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply 🙂

I understand. I guess it's just frustrating that neighbours around us are enjoying fast internet then we are stuck with about a 3 Megabits per second connection - Netflix and browsing the net is a big ask... (...the 4k TV we bought while at the old place with a fast internet connection has gone to waste since moving haha).

We have been waiting for the NBN to become active at our properties, which has now been pushed back more by about 7 months or so to December 2019...

Anyone got any other ideas or avenues we could use?

We had throught about wireless and trialed it - but with some gamers in the house it was not well received.

0 Kudos
GTFO
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Make friends with neighbours with HFC and see if you could install a 2nd connection and add a wifi link to your place (happens quite a bit in NBN FTTN areas with people wanting a "proper" connection and not the substandard FTTN can get to with distance).

I do know that within 3 months of NBN going live in Optus HFC areas - you receive a letter from Optus advising you to move over to nbn within that 3 months as Optus HFC will be shut down (guess why would you pay to maintain a network when NBN is live in the same area with theirs).

You could ask for a commercial quote as its still over a year for NBN in your area - but generally those rules above are stuck to.

0 Kudos