Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor slowy
Occasional Contributor

Cold Call for 5g Home Broadband

Hi,

Today I received a cold cal from Optus asking if I wanted to get 5g Home Broadband. It sounded great as we're in an NBN black hole with no chance of a connection for 9 months. 

The guy seemed to know a bit about my account however there were a few suspicious things about the call:

- He was from Adelaide but the call came from Sydney (0280490831)

- He couldn't find all of my details in the system and said he would need to do a 100 point check

- I claimed not to had my medicare card/drivers licence with me as the call did not feel 100% right, he told me to call back later - and supplied a mobile number

- Said there was no land line that I could call back on to get through to his department

Are Optus currently calling customers to invite them on to 5g broadband and am I being too paranoid?!?!

Cheers,

S

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cold Call for 5g Home Broadband

Souunds like a scam as the produuct is still under trial.

Expression of interest was opened many months back and closed when they had enoughh people.

I dont recognise the number either, the internet search on that number is also not kind.

Any 5g offers/released plans will end up here: https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/5g

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

The worrying thing if it is a scam is he did know a bit about my account - my address, the bill amount and what phone I have.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Slowly, please be assured I've followed up this experience with the 5G Home Broadband team to get these details confirmed e.g the number you had been dialled on and if this is the correct process. I heard on Thursday and Friday last week there was outbound calls made so I'll assume so far it was a legitimate call but I still want to investigate for you. I'll keep you updated on this thread when I have any further information. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for following up! If you could let me know for sure it would be much appreciated. I've been living in an NBN blackspot, desperately need faster internet than ADSL. I've just been advised that we will be connected to NBN next month, but I think I would prefer to be on 5g instead.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi Slowly, I can confirm that was the correct 5G Home Broadband team who contacted you. Good to be safe than sorry 🙂

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation! Maybe the guy works on commission and doesn't want anyone else getting his sale, but the fact he would only provide his mobile number was very dodgy!!

0 Kudos