Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
DesL
New Contributor
New Contributor

Charged for call even though other person never answered

I just connected to NBN bundle with home phone.  Optus stuffed me around with the phone line which didn't work for 2 days.  Finally when the phone worked, I tested it by ringing the home number with my mobile (hooray I rang).  I then tested the home phone by ringing my mobile (hooray it rang).  I didn't want to get charged for a mobile call so I didn't pick up.

Not that it matters because I got charged for the call anyway.  When I queried the charge, I was told that as soon as the phone rings, it is considered a connected call and I will be charged.

My friends told me to stay away from Optus but I didn't listen to them.  Now I regret it but I am stuck with them for another 24 months (hooray!!!).

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Charged for call even though other person never answered

That's a new one to me. Might just be the customer service person making stuff up but also could be true. Mobile, NBN, Landline, etc. all might have different rules. The ACMA site states all the major Telcos charge for unanswered calls though. I'm not sure what the "opt out" process is and why anyone wouldn't want to. Possibly its related to the voicemail feature if active.

Charges for incomplete calls
Did you know that you may be charged the cost of a call even if you have just left a voicemail?

When you make a call that is answered by a ‘message bank’ or voicemail service—this is flagged as a connection and you will be charged for leaving the message.

Voicemail services are considered an ‘opt-in’ service, so to disable—you will need to ‘opt out’ by contacting your service provider.

It is also important to note that Telstra, Optus and Vodafone will charge you for a call even if it is unsuccessful. For example, if a phone is engaged, switched off, out of range, or just goes unanswered. This functionality is applied to every call unless you chose to ‘opt out’.

DesL
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the information. I contacted Optus again pointing out the information you gave me. I even sent them a link to the information on the ACMA site.  I asked them to opt me out.

Guess what...? They had no idea what I was talking about.

I guess it is a complaint to the TIO then.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re-reading the line above the italics it seems "Opt Out" is to disable your Voice Mail completely. not sure if that's desirable? Personally I disable my voice mail as IME most people never use it. Rather than listen to messages left most people just hit return call button. Rather than leave messages most people just hang up leaving their number in the missed call pile.

Also personally I like the idea that sometimes I can't be contacted or have messages left and if its important someone can always call back later. And most recently because it apparently saves me money now.

But that's just me

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors