cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Changing plans (and maybe ISP)

ATM i'm being charged $100 a month for 50gb of data. Lately with NBN installation coming up i've been inundated with offers from other ISPs with offers as low as $60  a month for unlimited data and high internet speeds.
I feel taken advantage of, and don't know where to go or how to contact Optus in order to change my plan or cancel it. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Changing plans (and maybe ISP)

Good luck with trying to locate an Optus contact number. If you have the patience to work through their Support page, you’ll find this number: 

I’m considering changing to this Australian provider: 

https://www.australiabroadband.net.au

They actually ANSWER THE PHONE IMMEDIATELY!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus won't prompt you to change your plans. If yours expires you will just move on to a month to month plan of the same setup. The NBN is a great time to evaluate your plans and he many isps are eager for your business. A few this to ask though:

Are you out of contact? Usually 12 to 24 months since you started this plan?

Are you on ADSL or cable?

Is 50gb almost ok? Or do you need lots more?

Do you want to stream tv aka Netflix?

Do you want.have a pvr to record FTA tv?

Are you interested in optus Sports?

Give us an indication and we might have some ideas. Otherwise if you hop onto the main Optus website you should find an option to live chat and ask a staffer about your account and it's status. Fwiw I wouldn't sign any new contracts just yet. See what advice you can get first.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@geom,

Did you mean Aussie broadband? People sometimes get the two mixed up.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Yes! I meant Aussie Broadband 

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Peter,

I get what you have written.

I’ve just lodged a long post and a direct complaint. 

Regarding your opening statement: any REASONABLE person will argue that it is NOT GOOD ENOUGH that Optus don’t advise their customers DIRECTLY when their plans have expired. We are being milked out of dollars. I’ve only just found out I could be on the same Optus plan for $40 less. It is therefore unsurprising that we’re not informed. Further to this, most people do not spend their valuable time perusing plans, etc. We rely on our providers to do the RIGHT THING. It’s a pity we do out find out until we stumble upon it or make a complaint.

George

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I agree that a company that proactively looks to give their customers their best deal is definitely value added. 

However the 'loyalty' business model has changed substantially (and in most industries). Many companies offer sweet deals to new customers and then hit those customers with a "lazy tax" when they don't actively seek out better.  On the flip side customers now often have much more choice and competition is good. 

Personally I just set a reminder in my Google Calander 12/24 months in the future to check out any deals as my contract is about to expire. Sometimes I need to skip to another provider but usually its not necessary. Most Optus "sweet" deals are open to new and renewing customers at Optus

FWIW Optus would find it difficult to auto migrate people on plans. Generally they're all constructed not to be comparable - is an $80 plan with free calls and 500Gb downloads better than a $70 plan with no calls but 1000Gb downloads? 

Hope Optus take on board your suggestion (FWIW writing an algorythm to rank all historic plans, then comparing to all current plans and flagging any that were more than a few points apart would be pretty simple) 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

And I agree I had a go at Optus on my wife's Mobile phone account I had to initiate the change of plan.

But it is not only Optus, Insurance companies do the same its called "LOIALTY TAX" Car Home Insurance all the same best deal for newcomers.

My Mobile is with Aldi and like them or hate them whenever there is a change I get a Text Message informing me and I get automatically upgraded to the new tariff. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I was out of contract as of August
ADSL2
No. 50gb isnt enough. I signed on for UNLIMITED. 
No. No. And no.
Every day i've jumped on the Optus homepage and the live chat option has been offline.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I know I'm a little late, but if you'd like to discuss some options, I'm happy to help.

We did launch new Fixed broadband offers on Monday.

You can always send us a private message. We'll need your full name, DOB and account number. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos