cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Changing from Telstra to Optus

Hi.  I am a senior and are having trouble understanding how to work this out.  I went into a Harvey Norman store on 17 November to buy a TV.  There was an offer of a discount if I changed over a mobile phone to Optus.  That was fine - did that - no problem. 

We had been having trouble with getting reception to our old TV through Telstra NBN.  The sales rep suggested we try Optus wireless (you call it 4g home internet everyday).  It seemed like a good idea at the time and we received the Optus modem which is still in the wrapping.

So then I realised I would loose my home phone and email address if I changed from Telstra.  That is why I haven't unwrapped the modem.  The rep didn't tell me that. 

How do I overcome this?  Thanks for any ideas you may have.

RW

0 Kudos
19 Replies

Re: Changing from Telstra to Optus

Hi there, @RoslynTuross. Thanks for posting on YesCrowd. 

Are you able to clarify what you mean when you say you're having trouble getting reception to your old TV through Telstra NBN? Are you referring to Free-To-Air channels? As the NBN and your aerial/antenna reception would be separate and not affect each other. 

Unless you're referring to a Smart TV and using apps (Netflix, Stan etc) to watch shows/movies, then this would involve your NBN/Internet connection. 

Our 4G Home Internet service does not offer a home phone service nor an email service. It may be better to switch from Telstra NBN to Optus NBN since Optus NBN will allow you to port your home phone number across to us from Telstra. 

Optus NBN also comes with a free Optusnet Webmail service which ends in "@optusnet.com.au".

With regards to your current email, I'm assuming you're referring to a Bigpond email, is this correct? You would have to discuss your options in keeping the email active with Telstra to see if there are any solutions they can provide you with so you can continue using your Bigpond email after switching over to Optus. 

As for the modem that is still in its packaging, if this service does not meet your needs, you may have to speak with our Support Teams in arranging a return of the modem and cancelling the plan. You can get in touch with them by calling 133 937 or by visiting your closest Optus store so they can discuss this with you. 

If you signed up for the 4G Home Internet service through Harvey Norman, you may be able to return to that store and discuss your options with them as well since 4G Home Internet doesn't meet your needs/requirements. 

Hope this helps. Give us a shout if you have any other concerns or questions.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your prompt reply. Great answer. Yes the trouble with the old smart TV was using the Apps, and I thought it was the NBN service - that is why the Rep said to try the 4g home internet.
I will go to Optus and take the modem. Or Harvey Norman if that doesn't work. I did not know there was no email or home phone with 4g home internet. Regards RW
0 Kudos

Anytime, @RoslynTuross. Glad I could provide info around your situation.

The 4G Home Internet service can sometimes have quicker speeds than some NBN connections but it does vary on many factors such as location, coverage, speed packs etc.

If you're needing a home phone and email service though, Optus NBN would be best your option. If you sign up to Optus NBN and experience any issues with the connection, we have support teams in place to make sure you're getting the best speeds possible.

I'm sorry this info wasn't provided to you when you signed up, I've tagged this as feedback to be reviewed by the relevant teams to better improve customer experience in this aspect.

Let us know how everything goes! 

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. great service.
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Your streaming issues is likely based on it being a wifi connection? Any chance you can connect your modem and tv via wired? Or move the modem closer to the tv? Also confirm with Telstra what NBN speed you are on.
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Also note that while Telstra will let you pay a small fee to keep your email address Optus will not allow access to your optus ema2il if you ever leave.2

Note if you are on a senior nbn12 plan that is probably too slow. Get a 25 plan at least.
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Nard_YC wrote:

I'm sorry this info wasn't provided to you when you signed up, I've tagged this as feedback to be reviewed by the relevant teams to better improve customer experience in this aspect.

Let's be realistic hear, nothing is going to change. Sales staff have no interest in providing any information to potential customers that may result in a lost sale.

Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Haha maybe the rep thought I knew what I was doing. I didn't think about the phone and email not being available using wireless. Live and learn. I'll go to the shop once the holiday crowds dissipate.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi folks. 

I thought I would give you a quick feedback on what happened when I went to the Optus store yesterday with my unopened 4g home internet modem.  I was hoping they would give me a way out so I could cancel the plan I had been given at the Harvey Norman store.  I was willing to take a contract for an Optus NBN connection instead of the wireless, although probably not my best option. 

But the staff did not want to talk to me.  Apparently their boss has said they will not deal with any fall out from the rep at Harvey Norman who has a reputation for signing up people with things they don't want.  I didn't go to HN yesterday, but phoned today and are awaiting a return call.

I have tried calling Optus but they are super busy.  I can't message them or put in a complaint as the 'message us' sign is missing from their web pages.  I see on this page there is a red note that only critical enquiries are able to handled right now.

I think I will have to cancel the contract and pay for the modem, and any other costs?

I was thinking that with Telstra, I know they will keep my bigpond email if I pay a monthly fee, but  will it actually work if I am on wireless with Optus?   wouldnt it need an NBN connection?

Thank you for reading my musings.

The best for me would be to stick with Telstra big pond.  Cancel the Optus 4g home  internet everyday but is that at all possible?

cheers

Ros

0 Kudos