Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor PJ53
Occasional Contributor

Changing email address

My wife and I use IMac and Ipad, and have email accounts with Optus, with mine being secondary.  Unfortunately my banking details and Optus email address have been hacked.  I will deal with banking details issue but have to deal with consistent dodgy emails to my Optus address.  I have blocked these on Imac, but they keep coming from different addresses. 

Therefore I intend to add a new Optus email account in my name, and delete the old address in the future.  I intend to print off any important documents contained on the old address, and advise a multitude of people/organisations of the change - then delete the old address.  I also intend to shift from Optus mail to Gmail or ICloud mail.

Question - do you have any further suggestions or advice on things to be wary of in changing email addresses?

Thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Changing email address

I would suggest you take the oportunity to transfer to a gmail address. Its free and accessible anywhere. If you ever decide to change internet providers you don't lose you email address in the process. 

GMAIL has a built in method for importing all your email from an old email address. It also has pretty good built in spam filtering. You can set your optus address to forward to gmail for a few months. Tell everyone your new gmail address. Emails forwarded from optus to gmail can be automatically tagged (or colour coded) so you can easily see who you need to tel to update your email address. After a few months turn off the optus forwarding and get on with your life.

As a side note, you should enable double factor authentication on google/gmail. This means when anybody tries to log into your google or gmail account you will get a SMS providing a one off login code. This needs to be done only once on any machines you trust. 

Best of all you can try it now for free and see if its right for you. If not then go back to plan a.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Untitled.jpg

Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much, Peter.  I will do as you suggest.

One thing that peturbs me as a 20 year plus Optus customer is their denial of responsibility in securing their network against non Optus spammers.  I have been on live chat today - in a nutshell, Optus will only act on spam from Optus customers (as verified by the live chat guy and abuse@optusnet.com.au) and they suggest we email the IP's of the spammers. This is not easy as the IP address is hidden in the header of the non-Optus sender's spam email, and if you find it you then have to search the internet to report abuse to the IP.  Optus spammers must be a very small portion of global spammers.

I think Optus has a responsibility to act on customers' behalf - once the spam email and header (incorporating the spammer's IP address) have been reported to abuse@optusnet.com.au to liaise with the spammer's IP.  I made this clear to the helpful and pleasant Optus guy who said he would pass on my feedback.

There I've had my rant.  Off to bed now...zzzzz

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Unfortunately there is little we can do from our end to block the emails. I am having the exact same issue with my non-optus email account at the moment but as the emails come from different addresses, they can't be blocked by my provider. Escalating the emails with the ACCC is the most effective way to have them investigated, check out the full details here.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The spam I've been receiving has come via an overseas ISP.  

The prime role of Scamwatch (ACCC) is to educate the public to avoid scams (based on the reports they receive).  Scamwatch may refer spam to other Australian agencies but it is very difficult to trace any overseas spammers.

Scamwatch suggested that I delete any spam emails immediately rather than relying on Optus to block spam (by reporting spam to Optus or abuse@optusnet.com.au) or  reporting the problem to the overseas ISP (which the spammers use).

I have come across a useful Australian government site https://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/

I think Optus needs to greatly improve its website information on handling scam emails coming from overseas.  This would give customers more comfort.

0 Kudos
New Contributor _-
New Contributor

Yes do forward your existing address to your new Gmail address. In addition, configure Gmail to auto-reply with a note advising of your new address.

No matter how thoroughly you think you've announced your new address among your family, friends, acquaintances, colleagues, customers and suppliers, you're bound to miss some. And even of the ones you do tell, some of them will lose track and keep trying your old address; their contacts list might not synchronized between devices, so they might update your address in one device but forget about others; or they might hit "reply all" on some email that includes your old address, and it will get re-added to their contacts list; or they might mis-type your new address, but not discover that until they go to send you something.

The ones you are most likely to miss are the ones with whom you only exchange birthday & new-years notes, so I strongly recommend do not turn it off for at least a year. You can tell Gmail to start hiding the messages after a month or two, but even then there's not really any call to delete the address; just check your "messages via old address" folder every few months to see if anyone you know is still using it.

And remember this: you are asking all your acquaintances to do you a favour. You're the one getting a benefit from having a new email address, for them it's an imposition. A small one for sure, but it adds up. If you have 200 people to tell, and it takes 1 minute for each of them to fix your entry in their contacts list, that's over 3 hours you're taking out of other people's lives.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor GNNBK
Occasional Contributor

I use this method to route my Optusnet email through Gmail, as Gmail has much more effective spam blocking.

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_route_my_email_through_gmail

In this way I never need to look at my actual Optus email account (not in Outlook POP3, mobile phone IMAP4 or on Webmail) and it can collect all the spam that Optus wants to let it have, however all I see in my actual email (no matter where I view it) is a clean Inbox thanks to how well Gmail filters out the spam, which works a treat, and there was no need to change my actual Optusnet email address!