cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Change password on Optus WiFi modem

For step by step instructions, check out → https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Help-With-Your-WiFi-Modem-Username-amp-Password...

If you get stuck at any point along the way, shout out and we'll give you a hand. 

Keep us updated. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor JM123
New Contributor

This is very confusing for me- I have used this IP address to change the wifi password in my home, but couldn't my flatmate just type in the same IP address and change it again? How is the new password protected from other people seeing it?

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@JM123

Does your housemate know Optus modem login credentials? If so, you can always change your password via the admin settings page.

When you enter 192.168.0.1, you should be presented with the screen below:

Choose a new password, hit save and apply.

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
New Contributor JM123
New Contributor

This is the one I am originally referring to. Even if I changed the password, can’t my flatmate log on anyway with the generic admin and password to see the current password?

at the moment I access it that way and the password isn’t protected by the stars; it is visible. So it can easily been found for him to log in using his laptop.

im just not sure how it works or why it appears to be such an insecure web page. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Once it's changed, he'd need to login with the new password that you've created.

Technically, he could always factory reset the modem and the username and password will be set to the default password (the password located on the rear of the modem).

Can you navigate to the access control screen and see whether it allows you to change the password from there?

Modem Advanced Settings Management/Access Control Enable Optus Secure Password.

New Contributor JM123
New Contributor

I don’t know where the modem access control settings are.

why doesn’t Optus have any actual security measures for this situation? What’s the point of a password if anyone can just reset or change the password and log in again? 

The only way I can change the password is by typing in 192.168.0.1 into my browser and entering the generic admin and password login. What’s the point if anyone can do that?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

As per his screenshot above, do you have the "Advanced settings" option on your end? From here you should be able to change the password.

I can only apologise that there aren't further measures in place to stop someone from locally resetting the hardware, this is a normal process for standard modems. Have you looked into purchasing a third party router to add to your set up? This may provide the further security you require.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos