cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Change LAN IP Range on Netgear CG3000

Hi, I have Optus cable on a Netgear CG3000 v2 and need to change the LAN range of my private network. By default the LAN IP Range is 192.168.0.x but this conflicts with my work IP Range and I get up conflicts when connected by vpn.

To avoid these IP conflicts I'd like to change the LAN IP to something like 192.168.23.x (still a valid private class C IP Range). When I contacted Optus I spent 3 hours on the phone trying to explain what I wanted to do and they continually told me that I can't change my public ip as it's dynamic, i.e. completely misunderstood my request. I gave up after 5 techs, 4 phone calls and 3 hours 

Basically when I go to the modem/router LAN IP page and try to change it I get the message "LAN IP and starting IP must be in the same network segment" this is in reference to the starting IP of the dhcp range which is managed on the same page. Unfortunately the dhcp values are not able to be changed (only the last value of the IP Range can be changed not and of the other IP segments).

How do I change my internal private network IP Range on a CG3000?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Change LAN IP Range on Netgear CG3000

Any chance you could set the range to 150-250 and the LAN IP to 140? Leave 1-139 to your VPN etc.

I assume you have set the mask to 255.255.0.0? But if the DHCP range only has one data entry point then it sounds like you might be out of luck. Time to buy a better modem?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks Peter, I can't actually change the subnet mask either. It's 255.255.255.0. I'm guessing it's Optus firmware that has locked out all of the possibility for change? 

I was hoping to avoid buying a modem and putting it in bridge mode. Disappointed that I can't change basic networking options, even more dissapointed that Optus support wasted 3 hours of my time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Yes that is disappointing. The Optus service model does seem to rely very heavily on limiting support to very specific areas. Staff don't necessarily understand anything more than you but can run through scenarios. There are definitely competent individuals scattered about who understand the fundamentals but you have to luck out to get one.  Unfortunately? the the staff are eager to try help and don't always admit they don't know what they don't know so you can spend a long time being transfered and going though it again and again.

In line with this OPtus seem to lock down their modem with custom firmware so that customers can't stray far and hopefullly customer service can help within those parameters.

Have you got v2 of the CG3000? Not sure if it has proper LAN options though.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Old thread, sorry for awakening, it's the top result in Google.

Just wanted to post the solution. I had to factory reset my CG3000 after it stopped connecting to the internet (it eventually gained a WAN address, but the downstream bonded channels had the wrong channel ids and frequency, and the power levels weren't normal either).
Hats off to Optus staff, who i connected to via the MyOptus app. They gave me the right advice straight away for the factory reset, and it worked. Thanks for that!

This is how I got it to work, changing the LAN IP Address range.
TL;DR : delete the call to changeRoot in the onclick of the Apply button.

In detail:
On the LAN IP page, enter the new LAN IP Address range you want to use. I chose 10.0.1.138. Make sure the last part is not wihin the starting and ending range of dhcp.

Using Chrome or Firefox, in F12 Developer Tools, click the Inspect arrow in the toolbar, and click the Apply button.
Mine had <input type=submit value=Apply align=middle onclick="return changeRoot()">

Double click the changeRoot() and change it to true, so it now says onclick="return true"> ... note the parentheses are removed.
Go back to the screen and click Apply. It reboots the modem, and mine is now working fine on the new range. I've added DHCP reservations.
Do whatever network config you need to do on your PC to switch to the new range, Happy days.

Top Contributors