Searching...

Re: Carlingford Exchange Upgrade

Hollie

Can confirm they are on track to have the upgrades and maintenance completed in the near future. No confirmed ETR as yet.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Highlighted

bmstenner117

In other words PR fluff for now

FixItNow

On track for...the future?

If you don't know when it's going to finish how can you even theoretically say it's on track.

On a scale of 1 - 10 of useless information that's a 30.

Dan_DS

I've replied to your PM about this @FixItNow. For anyone else interested, the upgrade has been pushed back as we're upgrading two sections of the exchange at once. Carlingford 1 is now being upgraded prior to Carlingford 2 (which was scheduled for July 15th). We're still on track to complete both upgrades this month, but due to technical reasons the team have switched the order of the upgrade. Not too much longer!

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

mmaslen

Well "This Month" is now last month...

If this isn't sorted in the next 30 days, I'm switching.

Dan_DS

The Carlingford upgrade has been completed @mmaslen, if you're still experiencing issues it would be best to speak to our Tech Support team on 131344 so they can help you investigate why

FixItNow

Before we start backslapping and making claims of "finished" I'd just like to point out that speeds after 6pm are still dropping on average 70-80%.

Before this problem existed congestion was 10-20% drop in peak time - within the realms of reasonable.

It's better than it was (i.e. useless) but definitely not "fixed".

Congestion has been reduced but with 20-30% overhead I don't expect it will be long before we are back at oversubscribed.

Going to tech support remains - as usual - a completely pointless exercise.

What is Optus doing about returning the service to its previous non-congested state or is the thumb in the dyke wall the final solution ?

Dan_DS

What graphs are you looking at to pull those statistics @FixItNow? The graphs I have in front of me showing bandwidth utilisation for Carlingford 1 over the past 24 hours show no evidence of any congestion, and our engineers have confirmed that the upgrade to our CMTS Carlingford 1 is now completed.

As I mentioned above in an earlier comment, you are connected to Carlingford 2, which is still not complete. This is an example of how the information can be confused. Carlingford 1 is and should be considered completely separate to Carlingford 2. An update being completed on Carlingford 1 (as I mentioned above) won't necessarily have an impact to users on Carlingford 2. 

mmaslen
Are you able to tell me @Dan_DS exactly what Carlingford exchange i'm connected to?

FixItNow

So what youre' telling me is I'm on a node that hasn't been upgraded, is completely separate and won't necessarily be impacted by node 1 works - umm...what?

On this basis then I would find it not unusual to be confused why average speeds have been over the last week around 30-35M (Optus speedtest) and occasionally at speeds around the 90-100M service I'm subscribed to...

This leads me unerringly to a wild assumption that this means node 2 is somewhat upgraded, not completely separate and possibly will have an impact. Don't let the remote possibility of any even wild suggestion of any contradiction get in the way here...

My advice to you in my previous note of 70-80% degradation after 6 pm was on the basis of the aforementioned assumption i.e. that over the last week speeds had improved over the 0.4M I have had for months.

I'd suggest that given the example above and my experience with Optus over the last 3+ months that in the vast majority, customer confusion has been created by Optus, not the other way around.

This is, for the most part for me, on the basis of advice regularly received of "work being on track but no finish date".

I'd love to know - even theoretically - how anything even remotely time based can be claimed to be on track if you don't know when it will be finished.

Your last advice - by all means correct me if I'm wrong - as someone decided to change the plan to do node 1 first - that late July was changed to early August for node 2 at Carlingford.

Oh please let me guess - it's now mid August?

Not difficult to understand why your customers are completely and utterly tired of this crap.

Up the ante I reckon - hold someone actually accountable for finishing when they say they will.

Like Optus holding their customers accountable for paying their bills for a sub-standard service for months?

Unreasonably one-sided wouldn't you agree ?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
78 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
31 Kudos