cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Cannot watch anything but FTA channels

What is the point of having a fetchTV box if all i can watch is FTA channels...ESPN ... UKTV in fact all the internet channels are unwatchable. i get about 10-15 secs of picture and then about 10-15 secs of no picture ( buffering i presume ) this has been goin on for a while and i am sick of it  and please do  not telol me to ring support .

I am on ADSL as i cannot get NBN (like the four corners program i am in the too hard basket) so it has to be a bandwith problem I.E. Congestion. It used to be fine until about 3 months ago when nearly all my area was connected to the NBN since then its been unwatchable.

I dont wqnt to switch to Telstra as i like the plan i am on, but if this carries on i might have to. I would have thought that seeing as most of the area are on NBN that ADSL bandwidth would not be a problem.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cannot watch anything but FTA channels

ADSL bandwidth depends more on your distance from the exchange than other user numbers (everyone has a seperate copper cable to start with). It would seem that now that your area has gone NBN READY then its possible infrastructure has been disturbed or not maintained much. Telstra is still responsible for the upkeep of the copper network for 18 months. You might need to contact Optus and request a technician come out and inspect the line.

On the plus side NBNCo has made a renewed comitment to the too hard basket. It might pay to contact Optus and request that they request you get connected again and this time the answer may be different. Alternatively you might look into moving to a wireless connection in the mean time (max 12Mbps inner city, 5 Mbps regional)

Why are you in the too difficult basket?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply...i was told (unofficaly) that work stopped because there was no Node and that NBN CO was considering what to do with our area Either give us FTP or we get Sattelite but now there is a new one NBN are doing in difficult areas and its Fiber to the Kerb. So i have just been informed.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

On the plus side that's a much better technical solution than FTTN or satelitte. 100Mbps here we come!

On the minus side I'm not sure what time frame FTTC rollout is on.

It seems NBN are pushing the Cable HFC transition over the next six months and then FTTC gets started in earnest.

I believe FTTC is already happening though so hopefully the new NBN approach of addressing blackspots should see you hooked up sooner rather than later.

Seems you're a fair way away from the old node so ADSL speeds are being pushed. But from what you say it was working and so hopefully a Telstra tech can figure out where the line is disturbed.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Yes I am right on the 4km limit for ADSL but i was able to watch ITV with only the odd pause for buffering but as i said its every 10-15 secs now, btw i contacted my local MP to ask him if he could find out what the delay was (NBN)  and i got a reply to-day saying Extra work will start Mid December in our area. I dont know what thats supposed to mean.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That sounds promising.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors