Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Cancellation of Broadband service

I would like to cancel my broadband service as I have recently moved to a new location that does not provide NBN connection. I have downloaded optus app as per COVID-19 guidelines and I have been messaging since last five days to cancel my service, but no one is responding. Also I have contacted optus on 1300555241 but I am redirected to optus application by an agent, as disconnecting internet service is not urgent at the moment. Please provide a proper guidance to disconnect my service as I don't want to be charged. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Cancellation of Broadband service

You'll have to wait or keep trying sorry. I suspect you'll get through in the next month or two and Optus are waiving late fees etc. When you do get through the idea is that Optus will be backdating cancellation dates on request (esp as they can see you have used no data). I wouldn't fret it and just try again with the App each day of three.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@Ashly  You could also write to

Optus Customer Relations Group, PO Box 306 Salisbury South 5106.

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Tigers1719 ,

I've been suggesting that a fair bit lately too, but its actually no good when it comes to cancellation. A mod confirmed that Optus do not accept cancellations via post. The contract also specifies phone as the only way to cancel a contract. Its seems a bit bizarre and Optus definitely need to come up with a few alternative options that are outside the box IMO.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@petergdownload

I agree re needing other methods.  A store visit might be the other option and if someone decides to pursue this through Consumer Affairs, Optus may have to reconsider the clause. 

If you cannot contact a Provider in a reasonable time frame that is not the fault of the customer.

Optus also need to realise if they make leaving an easy hassle free experience they are more likely to get a customer to consider returning.

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@Tigers1719 

I think a lot of Optus troubles are based on business  and operational decisions they've made going back years. Most of these basic systems (like notifying of cancellation) should have dedicated web pages years ago. The problem now is that Optus still seems to want to hang on to these processes when they're completely inappropriate. For example, Optus want the chance to talk a customer out of leaving so they force the leaving process to be difficult and confrontational and have trained people putting on the hard sell. 

If Optus does create a 'Auto Cancellation' portal now, presumably they won't be able to go back to the old ways after this is over. 

Possibly management is telling itself that customers won't blame Optus and understand its a difficult time, but that's not the vibe I'm getting from the posts here. Most customers already feel Optus services are frustrating and poor and that other Telco's are handling this crisis much better than Optus. On other websites the awareness of the value of local support has gone up a lot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I was with iHug/iiNet for over 20 years.
The reasons I left were NBN in my area is HFC,  neighbors complaining and the hard NBN sell from iiNet. This one guy rang several times and just told me what I regarded as complete BS.  I spent enough time on Whirlpool reading the NBN HFC issues.

If I had have gone NBN it would have been ABB. I talked to the network engineer at work we are Australia Wide and in NZ.  I told where I lived he sat with me and checked the distance to the Optus 4G tower on Google maps and told me it was a no brainer. 

Only hiccup was needing a HLR , and the Optus Rep was fantastic listened to what I said was happening, what troubleshooting I had done and did the HLR.