Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor ReignMan
New Contributor

Cancel subscription

So, had a half hour chat with Optus, discovered they can't disconnect me. Then found out you can't fill an online complaints form (Cause hey, why make it easy to complain?!?)
So I left a reply, expecting 2 phone calls, one from Mobile and one from Broadband. Asked that they make sure I am contacted as I am flying abroad soon, so if they can't catch me to please retry (Due to meetings)
Guess what? No one called. 

No one.

So I'll give them one last chance before going to the Ombudsman, cause in my eyes, If I can self service connect I should be able to self service disconnect!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Cancel subscription

Left a reply where? On here? 

I'm not quite sure what the problem is though. Optus have advised you how to disconnect your service(s) which is by calling. Just because you don't like the option and expect other options to be available, doesn't mean they have to be. I would hope the ombudsman would send you straight back to Optus to follow the process to disconnect. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

They do send everybody right back on the first contact, but the ISP incurs a price penalty, which motivates them to listen to you. If you go back to the TIO again, the price rises.

New Contributor ReignMan
New Contributor

But I don't want to call, I don't want to get bounced around overseas call centers until they "agree" to let me go

And, I expect to be able to leave a contract the same way I joined. 
And - they said on chat that someone would contact me:

Cathy (18:25:04 AEST) : I understand why you need to cancel the services, the cancellations team is close on Sunday. 
Cathy (18:25:30 AEST) : What we can do is call you tomorrow and put you across to that team, is that ok?
Visitor (18:25:39 AEST) : ok
Visitor (18:25:57 AEST) : can't you put a future request to cancel?
Cathy (18:26:35 AEST) : What numbr do I call you on? I do apologize they need to speak with you as we are not allowed to cancel services via chat.
Visitor (18:29:31 AEST) : That's kind of weird...
Visitor (18:29:58 AEST) : My Number is 04-521XXX06 Please ask them to call until they get hold of me as I may be in and out of meetings
Cathy (18:30:05 AEST) : I know but we cannot simply cancel, we really need to move you across to them.
Visitor (18:30:05 AEST) : meetings
Cathy (18:30:32 AEST) : i will be the one to call you to transfer you to them ;0
Visitor (18:31:17 AEST) : OK Cathy, thanks. Hopefully they will be at least able to cancel both services?
Cathy (18:31:53 AEST) : They will be able to do so, I assure you 😉

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You can cancel a mobile plan by moving to another provider, like Aldi, which has 1 year SIMs. They request the phone number to be released, and Optus are duty-bound to give it to them, and your account is then shut down.

0 Kudos