cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Gurseema
New Contributor

Can you use the cable antenna to split signal for modem and TV

Hi we have recently got fetch tv and modem. Unfortunately there is no TV antenna in the room. Someone said that I can get splitter from bunnings or TV shop and it will split the signals from the cable (boardband) wire and that way i can get both working. Is that correct? has someone tried it?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Can you use the cable antenna to split signal for modem and TV

Not a splitter no.

You can buy an indoor aerial from Bunnings ($20 or so) and give that a try. Unlike analogue digital can give you 100% PQ even if the reception is low. The downside is if the reception is too low then you get 0% PQ.

So try it out and return it if it doesn't work. Make sure you test each network when seeing if you can get all channels.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor Gurseema
New Contributor

Thanks, Peter the indoor antenna didn't work, already tried that. :(.

Telstra has done the splitter thing in past at a different property but I am not sure what the purpose was.

I guess I have to run a 6-8m cable from another room.

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I think you'll find that Telstra split the cable for use with other cable services. The cable you're talking about carries both internet signal and the Foxtel signal and as such can be split and used on a Modem and Foxtel box. You could split your cable as well and plug that into the Fetch TV box but it simply wouldn't do anything because it wouldn't be sending it the free to air signal it needs to operate. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Top Contributors