Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Can’t send email with MS Outlook through ADSL service

Suddenly I can no longer send emails through the Outlook email client. I receive the error message ‘client rejected server : server corrupted’. I however still receive emails. I checked to find there were no recent Windows updates to Outlook on my machine.

I rang Optus support. They were unable to help. Said I needed to use the Optus email webpage instead (which by the way is furkin useless to both read and compose emails). They said the problem was with Outlook, and gave me the phone number for MS support. Thank you!

MS support couldn’t help – but tried to sell me an Office 365 subscription instead, which they ‘thought’ would fix the problem.

Then found I could use the same machine, same Outlook, same settings - but on the Optus MOBILE broadband network, and yes, I can send emails on that network.

I rang Optus with this discovery. Same story – “it’s an Outlook problem”. Huh? “There’s a difference between ADSL mail and Mobile broadband mail”. Drrrrr – my experience confirms that! I asked if they could, say, re-set my ADSL account connection to their mail server.  Can’t be done. Not an Optus problem. “We are always having problems with Outlook” was the response.

Asked if Optus techo’s had ever talked to Microsoft techo’s directy about the problem. Response – “it’s an Outlook problem”. Thanks Optus for the information (sic).

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggested solutions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can’t send email with MS Outlook through ADSL service

It's not a send, receive error that I have seen before however I have seen that error associated with just about every aspect of Outlook itself from a corrupt profile to a corrupt .pst file. Like yourself I would be puzzled if the error didn't show when using the mobile network. What version of Outlook is it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Yeldarb. I do not believe it is an Outlook version issue. Actually I have 3 machines  - a desktop and 2 laptops. The problem was originally noticed on my desktop (Outlook 2007), so I then tried it on both laptops (Outlook2010 and 2016). That's why I doubted subscribing to Office 365, which uses Outlook 2016 until 2019 is released.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I have also repaired my email accounts in Outlook, removed the accounts and added them again in Outlook - all to no effect.

For some reason Outlook will not connect to the mail server for outward emails as it sees the Optus server as being corrupted! Seems Outlook security is 'too good', and I have not found how to turn it down.  hehe. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It was the variant of Outlook I wanted to know as they have that Outlook standalone app / program as well as all the Office variants. So you got this error on 3 different versions of outlook using adsl but there was no error on all 3 versions using the mobile network?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Correct - except I have not tried my desktop version on the mobile broadband network as it does not have a wireless connection to do so.

All versions are the Office variant, not stand alone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sticking with the one computer is the desktop a Windows or Mac and what is the current outgoing server port, ssl and authentication settings? Just to confirm, this is an Optus email account not a work email?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I dont have access to my desktop at the moment, so the setting from my Outlook 2010 laptop are:

In port 993 IMAP

Out port 25 SSL

Unticked login using SPA

These are the default settings when I deleted and added the accounts again to Outlook.

Yes - they are Optus emails - @OPTUSNET.com.au. I actually have 2 Optus email accounts and the problem is the same for both.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ok try turning ssl off, close the program and open it again and check ssl is off then test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Yeldarb. I am not at home with access to my ADSL at the moment. I will try tomorrow.

You suggest I try none, or TLS, or auto? Or all of the above?

I will let you know how I go. Thanks for your help and patience with this.