Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
robhing06
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Can a Optus rep call me please?

Thanks Peter,

I'm also slighly confused, as I saw the 2 coaxial boxes outside my window I contacted Telstra and they advised

"

[‎4/‎12/‎2018 4:23 PM] 

For the ADSL 2+ we will be providing you it will still run thru your phone line but we will be using an NBN ready infrastracture. So it'll be using the coaxial boxes ready on your premise."

Alright, I did verify with our back of house team that with your area the speed their getting is 20/1 mbps and what's good about our bundles is it comes with a smart modem which has back up 4gx connection, so if something went wrong on the internet you'll still get the minimum speed of 6mbps which is better than you're current speed.

Does this even seem legit?

I'm about 4Kms from the exchange, all ISP are saying I'm getting 3Mbps average. Whereas Telstra is saying I'll be getting 20Mbps MINIMUM through their NBN ready infrastructure?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds a little funky (but not out of the ball park).

ADSL is always over the Telstra copper wire in the street. If Telstra are supplying ADSL then its normally using the same copper wires everyone used. You wouldn't expect any real difference from Optus or any other RSP in speed.

However this agent seems to be suggesting they'll use the coaxial cable (which is the "C" in "HFC"). Its not ADSL technology but Hybrid Fibre Coaxial. This is indeed what the NBN will use to connect to you (next year). However there seems to be a mix up on whether you are getting ADSL or HFC or some new product.

I'd contact staff again and try get some better clarification on exactly what product you would be getting (Optus is not alone in different CS agents giving different explanations)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
robhing06
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm confused myself, I'm in the back house and was told legally i cannot get cable internet.. The 2 Telstra coaxial boxes are for NBN connection which isn't ready until April - June 2019... Telstra representative is advising based on their speed analysis in my street they can guarantee a speed of a MINIMUM of 20Mbps and a maximum up to 24Mbps. 

I don't understand how they use the same infrastructure but can provide more bandwidth?? is this a scam from Telstra?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Not a scam, possibly just miscommunication. 

Sounds like NBNCo have installed the stage 1 connection to your home. In the case of HFC they're doing that to all homes in your area. Once done they "go live" and on request run the last 10m of cable.

Forget the speed analysis. The confusion seems to be over how exactly are you going to be connected to the internet. Is it ADSL2+? (i.e. copper wires from the street). Or via HFC cable (which is capable of 100Mbps easily)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
robhing06
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thabks the representative said they will go through Telstra's new infrastructure. Not sure how they got their analysis but they said they performed a speed test from the street and got 20mbps down minimum and up to 24mbps. Should I just go for it? 

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Sounds promising. 

I just can't figure the tech involved. ADSL2+ uses copper wires from the street. It has a maximum speed of 24Mbps. 80% of people on ADSL2+ are 10Mbps or lower though (due to distance). 

If we're talking coaxial cable then 100Mbps is easily achievable. 

I'd suggest getting a confirmation of the 20Mbps+ speed and yes sure go for it. If it turns out you're still getting 2Mbps then you should be able to cancel easily enough.

Let us know how you go.

Peter Gillespie 

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@robhing06, I've replied back to your private message.

We'll discuss some options with you there. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos