Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
robhing06
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Can a Optus rep call me please?

Hi Optus,

Earlier this year I placed an order with Optus ADSL2+ however there was no free ports on the exchange as Optus was saying they will need to contact the reseller and activate ports. I'm currently with another service provider and wanting to go with Optus so I can get discounts off my mobile however there are still no available ports? What can we do to get ADSL2+ connected?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Can a Optus rep call me please?

Hi,

This is just a public forum. A mod may pop in but you would be best to contact Optus direct (Phone or better LiveChat)

When is the NBN arriving in your area and what technology will be used? FTTN?

Free ports are likely to remain in short supply IMO as with the NBN arriving Optus won't be adding any new ones. However about 10% of your suburb should move in any given year so hopefully one gets freed.

Have you considered an optus 4G broadband modem if available in your postcode? Same speed as ADSL.

Peter Gillepsie

0 Kudos
robhing06
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter,

I've had Optus 4G Broadband however was getting speeds of only 2-3Mbps, ever since Optus did maintenance work on the towers it seems to have dropped off dramatically.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Was going to suggest try Telstra Mobile broadband but frankly their plans are terrible. You have to sign up for 24 months for post paid and prepaid is rubbish data. 

Not sure how much data you want access to a month while you wait for the NBN (when's it coming?)

The current Telstra Prepaid offer gives 40Gb for $50 (exp 28 days, but rolls over on time with every recharge $30+). So That could get you to 1 April with high speed. Presumably Telstra will renew its bonus data after that? Not sure if that gets you a bith further down the road?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
robhing06
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ouch Peter, I think we would chew through the Telstra data plans pretty quickly considering there is 3 Adults and 2 children in the house.

Our average data usage is around 300GB per month. 40Gb for $50 is quite expensive for us.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Expensive for most of us I agree  (I think I grabbed about 300Gb yesterday Smiley Surprised however that was an unusual day.)

You haven't said when the NBN is arriving? And what tech it is?  It might affect how willing Optus are to connect you to ADSL+

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
robhing06
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN is scheduled for April - June 2019 with HFC, 

Was on Optus Home Wireless Broadband previously and that was great even paying extra $10 for 10GB each time we went over.. since they changed the towers we lost connection and had frequent drop outs so changed over to ADSL2+ with another service provider.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So I take it Optus Cable isn't an option to your home?

FWIW NBN will be using the Telstra Cable to connect to your home (Any Optus cable will be dismanteled). So you could get the Telstra Cable installed now and be one of the first to get activated when the NBN arrives.

Otherwise, I hope Optus finds a spare port for you.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
robhing06
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I just spoke to Optus and apparently they cannot provide another cable connection in the same block which i find interesting because in these forums people whom live on 3 - 4 blocks have cable internet?

I just went home and saw 2 Telstra boxes with black coaxial cables outside my bedroom window, quite interesting what they are used for?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Heading home now but you've hit a weird quirk of Optus who long ago decided one cable to one block was their rule (no matter how many units or subdivisions). Its not hard and fast and you can get rezoned but there's no actual process as far as we can find out. Luck of the draw.

You might have better luck with Telstra cable but they have somewhat similar rules

I'll flag @Dan_C and perhaps he can get you through to a department that can help.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos