cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Contributor ozeannie
Contributor

Can VNC work through a Huawei E3372 dongle?

I have a Huawei mobile broadband USB dongle, item code 3000931, Huawei E3372 WT BDl. It is connected to a laptop running Windows 7.

I have a program VNC which allows a remote computer to access the laptop, however it depends upon me supplying the IP address to the remote computer. Previously I had a DSL modem and the IP address was the same both externally and internally.

Now with the dongle, the IP address coming up is 192.168.xxx etc – which is a traditional “internal” assigned IP address. I can find out the external address by using an internet site such as whatismyipaddress, however for the remote computer to connect there must be port forwarding enabled to bridge the external IP address to the internal one.

I can’t seem to find any facility in the settings to do this. Any help or alternative way to do this would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can VNC work through a Huawei E3372 dongle?

Hi!

Are you talking about Static IP? If you are, you can get a static IP with Optus if you're on a business broadband plan. 

0 Kudos
Contributor ozeannie
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. No I'm not on a business plan nor would I plan to be. It's not so much about having a static IP, but rather being able to translate the incoming IP (whatever it is) seen by the dongle to the IP seen by the computer. Whether the IP is static or not doesn't really matter, it worked without a static IP before.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hi, 

You can have a try if you have the VNC, will the Huawei E3372 have IP conflict with the VNC?

0 Kudos
Contributor ozeannie
Contributor

I found an application Teamviewer that works instead.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors