cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor mshahzad
Occasional Contributor

Can I use Optus Sagemcom fast @5366 with other NBN provider?

I have got Optus Sagemcom Fast @5366 from my friend. He had it as spare. I just wanna know(as I’m not much of expert of these modems) that can I use this modem with any other NBN service provider?
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Can I use Optus Sagemcom fast @5366 with other NBN provider?

Should be fine. With the NBN you generally just plug the small NBN provided NCD into the WAN port of your modem and set the modem to use the WAN port (if it doesn't automatically).

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I currently have FTTN from non-Optus. Would that work with modem?
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Should be fine. DO you already have the NBN little NCD (modem)? that NBNCo provide for free?

Note the only restriction on using other modems with Optus is you won't be able to use the Optus phone / landline service (you must use the Optus modem if you want a home phone up and running)

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter,

I only have a DSL cable, this is an old house and I really don’t know where is NCD(if there is any). NBN provider issued me PPPoE account details and through which I’ve entered in my old MyRepublic TG789vac V2 modem. Which works fine, but for some reason speed dropouts occurs (although When it occurs, I checked my modem lights and it didn’t show any irregularities, lights on the modem don’t turn red, so I think there is some problem with my wifi device). I was using 5Ghz and switched to 2.4Ghz and it got a slightly better (less speed dropouts), but still it occurs. So I thought of changing my modem, and got this modem from friend.
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

The NCD is a small box that plugs into your phone wall socket. You then plug this box into your Optus (or other) router. Is this what you have?

Also as a general rule when testing anything do it via a cable connection and not wifi. It just removes one more thing that might be the cause.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I have 610 phone socket through which my device is connected. Is that what you talking about? I assume you have read my previous reply about PPPoE account. Would any other PPPoE account will work with Fast@5366 modem?
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I think I'm sending you astray. The FTTN setup needs a modem that is VDSL2 compatible. You just need to check to. Any PPPoE Credentials should work, its the hardware that matters. There is no NBN NCD device (forget that bit)

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-node-explained-fttn

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@mshahzad  - at one stage the F@ST5366 TN was fixed to only use Optus DNS Servers which irritated some users who wished to use their own preferred DNS servers, so not sure if that will impact your preferred NBN RSP service  and uncertain of the current state of play. Wasn't clear if you are migrating from ADSL or are currently on NBN with another provider. In the NBN configuration, you don't need to have any Line Filter connected to the telephone cable at the wall socket end.

The original product release post has grown to 17 pages! - you might find some up to date information there.  https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/New-Optus-supplied-modem-Sagemcom-5366TN/td-p/5...

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Currently, I have NBN at my place and provider is Flip Connect. Would that create any issue if use Optus Sagemcom F@ST5366 TN?
0 Kudos