cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Can I replace the optus supplied sagecom router with a netcomm router amd have my phone work?

Hi.

About a month ago my NBN connection keeps dropping out. I think the problem is the router has had it.

I have a phone line in my plan. Can I replace the Sagecom with a Netcomm or D-link and still have my phone work?

Been waiting on Optus to fix it, but nothing seems to be happening.

Thx

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Can I replace the optus supplied sagecom router with a netcomm router amd have my phone work?

Hey there @mgculver.

You are free to use your own BYO router however keep in mind limited support is available from us should you face technical issues with your particular router. You'll need to refer to the manual that came with your BYO router or the manufacturer should you face technical issues with the device.

If you have a home phone number with Optus on the NBN, you must use the Optus supplied modem as your main network connection as the modem is specially configured to your phone number. You can still use your own modem/router but only as a router that is plugged into the Optus modem.

You can find more info around using your own BYO router on this YesCrowd post here

You've mentioned that your NBN connection has been dropping out, we recommend that you try out this Troubleshooting Guide and see how you go. 

If you believe that the Sagemcom router is at fault, you can raise this with our Tech Support team and if they determine that it's faulty, they can assist with getting it replaced.

We recommend getting in touch with Tech Support via the My Optus app.

Our Messaging team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

If for some reason you’re unable to use the My Optus app, please send a private message to the official Optus Facebook or Optus Twitter page for further assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Can I replace the optus supplied sagecom router with a netcomm router amd have my phone work?

@Nard_YC wrote:

If you have a home phone number with Optus on the NBN, you must use the Optus supplied modem as your main network connection as the modem

This is definitely not correct. The Optus modem does not have to be the main router, although that is the only officially supported configuration.

When the non-optus router/modem is first, all it usually take is some minor configuration changes to the non-Optus router to get the Optus phone working.

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Request Optus send out a replacement. Its required to remain in working order as an essential component of your service.

Check on Whirlpool for instructions or advice on how to configure your routers for what you want.

Note what sort of NBN do you have? Many have a small NBN modem in the mix and that might be the issue?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The modem is a Sagecom supplied by Optus several years ago for the NBN. It is still dropping out. In talking with them they are saying the problem is with the NBN and they would send a tech out to fix it. Problem is, working from home, I don't have a lot of time to wait.

Though if I bought a good router myself, I'd run with that.

Thx

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I understand the urge to rush but with the NBN its generally better to take it a bit slower. Optus has form blaming NBN for 'problems'. Sometimes it is the case but I'd take it with a grain of salt. They are required to provide a properly working modem at no extra cost. If you can get a NBN tech out then that would be good. That would determine where the problem lies.

You still haven't said what NBN tech you have or if you have a small NBN modem? You should be pluggin yout PC direct into that and seeing if the dropouts continue. If the don't then the Optus Router is a likely cause.
0 Kudos