cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor sddawson2
Occasional Contributor

Can I get a phone line with mobile broadband modem?

I have just signed up for an $85pm, 500GB mobile broadband plan with the B525 modem. I see that the modem has a phone port. Can Optus offer a phone plan with this modem? I would need to port an existing number from a landline service.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Can I get a phone line with mobile broadband modem?

Not sure on if Optus can help but one possible alternative is VOIP.

1) Port you current Landline number to an independent VOIP provider.

2) Get a VOIP enabled landline (that just plug into your existing network same as any other computer device)

3) Enter VOIP providers details into the phone and you're set.

A benefit of this approach is you never have to port the landline again as its independent of what RSP you are with.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus don't offer a phone service with Mobile Broadband

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Occasional Contributor

Coud be an option, although once NBN is available at these promises it will probably be easier and cheaper to bundle a phone with that. So I'm looking for a temporary and cheap option for now I guess.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

That's a shame. The modem configuration has options for entering SIP information. I wonder if I can use that to set up a phone with another provider somehow.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That would be a VOIP service then. 

Note several RSPs (notably Telstra and OPtus) lock their VOIP settings which means if you want to use their phone service you must also use their modem. The VOIP option I mentioned means moving between RSPs down the track is much easier. I generally recommend selecting the increasingly popular month to month plans.

But anyway, its just an altyernative, maybe someone else can suggest something else. 

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Yes, after a little research, I can see how that could be a good option. $80 for a voip converter, use your own phone, and $10pm for a basic plan. Then ditch it when nbn comes along if I want to. Thanks!

Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You can also just go a new main IP phone (no adapter). The Gigaset (Gigaset C530IP ?) range is well regarded with good range and can be placed anywhere around the house.

Occasional Contributor

That’s another good option, thanks. The voip provider I looked at also sells that brand. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I came across the Huawei B525 a few months ago when researching mobile broadband and was impressed with its ability to use the voice port with a mobile phone SIM (vs Data Only SIM) for people who have bad coverage areas on their property. I think the VoIP part is disabled on the Optus version. If you are locked into a long term contract at $85 a month, then this may not suit your circumstances - it is possible to insert a standard Voice & Data SIM into the B525 and connect an analog telephone handset or home cordless DECT system to the Phone port - that would be on a separate mobile telephone number to your mobile phone. The presenter, Austar,  seems to know a lot about this modem and has a few videos on it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEoQ6A_XYJg

Mobile Phone plans generally now come with generous data allowances, unlimited time local, national calls, some include free calls to mobile numbers and very low rates for international calls which VoIP providers may find hard to match in terms of price and quality of connections. I have no practical experience with the setup - it may be worth a look in the future for some readers.