Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can I change my cable modem with another one?

I think my cable modem is brocken. When I login to it. It always show the cable connection is not connected.

I have contacted with the tech support and tried many many times power off and on unplug and plug cable.

But the problem is still unfixed. They tell me I was connected at their end. Finally I realized that the light are all green which are not matched the information from the webpage 192.168.0.1 

So I think my cable modem need to be replaced. Can I get a new one from optus now? I have no broadband for 3 days. I really need a new one. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Can I change my cable modem with another one?

Your modem has two addresses. Inside 192,168.0.1 and outside to Optus.

It's possible your modem is broken (and Optus will replace it on request if this is the case) but do you have a tech friend who could come over and do some checking?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for replying. The wan port can't receive IP address. Normally it will automatically get one. can any cable modem take this modem's place? Or I must let optus give me a new one? I saw someone are selling there optus cable modem on eBay. does that mean that any same model optus cable modem can work for me without any configuration? Or I shall go to the local yes optus branch to buy a new one? I really need the broadband for my work. I just want to know the fastest way to get a new one and make it work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Do you have the 2x modems set up from Optus?

Do you have cable internet and this plugs into a modem with one port and then this port plugs into the second optus modem?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

No. I have only one cable modem netgear cg3000v2. I don't need to input any username or password. Normally it will automatically connect to the internet. So my question is if I can replace it without input username password just as before. Or even not using this model. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

They're probably a few too many factors here.

You said optus can see the modem from their end so they can also go in and configure it.

I think you will need an Optus modern. But could be wrong on that. But definitly for any auto no password setup. If not preconfigured you call Optus and they ask for the serial number and match it to the household.

You can request Optus send out a new modem but I'd probably try again with tech support to see if they can fix the settings on what you have.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos