cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor mountainmen
New Contributor

Can I cancel wireless broadband if not suitable ??

Hi Guys

Any knowledgeable  persons who would know if I can cancel a wireless broadband service if it doesn't perform well.

I already have an adsl 1 connection which is rock solid at around 12Mbps.   It has never disconnected in the last 3years and performs fantastically.

I am thinking of getting the 200g plan for $60 mainly to maybe get better speeds and also to save money.

I have an Optus sim card in my phone and a speedtest on 4g seems to be around 15-25 Mbps and I am only about 200 metres from an Optus tower direct line of sight

I have checked Oztowers and it looks like it broadcasts on 700/1800/2100 and maybe 2600 MHz

I spoke to a sales person in an Optus shop and he suggested that I should make it clear when I order over the phone that if the speeds are not acceptable and by that if they are not consistently better than my adsl 1 connection I should be able to return the modem and cancel the service say in 7-10 days.    I am not going to put up with 5/1 or even 12/1 Mbps

He did say that although my 4g phone speeds are OK the data transmission may be either better or worse than that

Does anyone know if my speeds (based on the tower frequencies) should be much the same as the phone and also if anyone has cancelled the order and returned the modem ??

Appeciate any advice

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Can I cancel a wireless broadband if not suitable ??

Hi there,

It wouldn't really be up to the Telesales agent to determine that you could cancel under those conditions (is that why the Optus store person didn't proceed with the transaction?), as if it got to that point you would be arranging it with the Cancellations team and it would be their decision.

Common advice on the forum is to first start out on a month to month plan or Prepaid option so you can experience what the speeds are like and there would be no cancellation fees if you did terminate these services.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor mountainmen
New Contributor

Hi Ray

Thanks for your valuable information.    The reason that the Optus store person didn't order it is because he cannot order that through a store it has to be done either online or over the phone.   Apart from that he was reasonably helpful.     Your suggestion about a quick 1 month prepaid sim is the way to go.    I will tether/hotspot from my phone to my laptop and check out the speeds.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Thanks for coming back to let us know and more than happy to help! 😀 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors