cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
ABQLD
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can I buy the B818-263 modem without a new plan?

I'm currently on a 24 month device plan which includes 200gb of data. We took the SIM out of the tablet and set it up using a cheap portable 4g modem and WIFI repeaters and quit the NBN. My plan still got another 7-8 months to go on a 24 month contract. The dongle is starting to get unreliable. I'm wondering if I can buy the B818-263 modem from Optus outright and pop the Sim in there. Or is the B818-263 only available as part of a plan?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Can I buy the B818-263 modem without a new plan?

Just get a month to month 4G home broadband 'plan' You can cancel any time without penalty (They just charge you the price of the modem which is $216). You could also possibly popup to a 500Gb allowance for just $3 more.

Talk to Optus direct and see what they can arrange. They should just be able to send you out a modem since you're already on the service and charge you $216. Twitter or facebook or phone app messanger
Jack_YC

Hey @ABQLD, I agree with what @petergdownload is saying. If you send us a message through the My Optus App, Facebook, or Twitter, we'll be able to sort this out for you. 
One option that I would recommend is to recontract to the larger 500GB plan if you're using this as your primary internet service. You would then have the B818 modem included in your plan. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndrewC1
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@ABQLDCheck the paperwork that came with the original modem as it in all probability has a 24 month warranty and if broken then Optus who is the company that sold you the modem has the repair or replace it.

You may be able to get the modem replaced with the B818 if the old one B525 is not working as Optus do not sell the B525 and did not have any available when I asked back in the beginning of May 2020.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors