Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
iamg
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Can I Use a Different Cable Modem?

FYI...

After several months of putting up with Optus’ very inefficient and extremely time-consuming customer service?? process – the fact is the Optus Sagemcom F@st 3864 modem/ router can only support a maximum of 11 users/ clients (this was confirmed by the Optus Tier 2 Technical Support team).

Introducing (“bridging”) a third party router (initially recommended by the Optus support technician – at my expense) does NOT increase the user/ client cap of 11 and did NOT fix the problem, however, it did strengthen the WiFi signal.

It is surprising to me WHY a large company like Optus would choose such an inferior product with no other viable alternative at this stage. As an alternate, if Optus provided the VoIP settings we could configure in a better router.

The only path now available is to investigate moving my account over to another Provider where I hope it will be much better...

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Hmmm that doesn't sound right. I don't think the Sagemcom can actually bridge in the traditional sense. If it could then bridging it to a new router would fix exactly the problem you're talking about.

What did you switch on/off to bridge your modem?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
ninkasi
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @iamg - if you've been using this modem for a few years, sounds like it's probably ADSL. Apparently Optus may be able to put this into bridge mode (https://community.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Sagemcom-Gateway-F-ST-3864OP-Bridge-Mode/td-p/... but it can't be done by the consumer. So my suspicion is it's not in bridge mode, but you're just using NAT translation through the new router to the old one - you could tell this by going onto the new router and seeing if the wan interface is an internal routable address such as 192.168.0.50. If you got a second router but left the old one in place, then yes it would not help other than perhaps improve wifi access whilst possibly slowing down internet access. 

What you need to do (again, assuming that you have a DSL service) is connect the 'phone cable directly into the new router - just check what the settings should be first! 😉

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus use the Sagemcom for both ADSL and NBN. Given iamg mentioned VOIP settings my money is on NBN

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
iamg
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

This issue is occurring whilst the Optus Sagemcom F@st 3864 modem/ router is connected to NBN and followed instructions on how to "bridge"

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If there's a chance you could tell us what the steps were you took to bridge the modem we'd have a better idea of what's going on. Even just high level

**Edit** scrap the above. If you actually bridge the modem on NBN, you'd lose access to your home phone. Others have confirmed that in this forum. If you're on fiber to the premises you might want to check this out

https://community.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/BYO-Router-with-Optus-NBN-VoIP/ta-p/140974

0 Kudos
ninkasi
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

If it's NBN, with an ethernet port on the wall, then I'd try plugging your router in to that to get internet, and then plug the Optus router in to your router for the voip service...... just need to make sure that your router is setup with a different subnet to the Optus router (eg if the Optus router is 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 then make yours 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0)

0 Kudos
iamg
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys,  to clarify: I'm connected to the nbn and the issue with Sagemcom F@st 386 is it restricts to max 11 clients (confirmed by Optus Teir 2 Techo); Optus technician recommended to bridge in better modem/ router; 

Process to setup "Bridging" - connecting to Modem/Routers together! is as follows...  

1. I purchased a Netgear D6200 Modem/Router this one was reasonably priced and suited my needs.
  2. Setup: NOTE: Remember to Position both Modem/Routers as close as convenient to the centre of your home and in a high position. 
  3. Turn OFF Wi-Fi and remove all "LAN" cables from the back of the existing Modem/Router (leave phone line and fibre connected).
  4. Connect the "LAN" cable from port 1 of the existing Modem/Router to the new Modem/Router Fibre/Internet Port.
  5. Now connect the other "LAN" cables from you PC's to Ports 2,3 & 4.
  6. Connect the Power supply that came with the Modem/Router.
  7. Turn your new Modem/Router ON and let it go through its setup process, which should take a couple of minutes.
  8. Once all LEDs are active and indicating activity, turn ON the Wi-Fi.

This solution did NOT increase the user/ client cap of 11 and did NOT fix my issue, however, it did strengthen the WiFi signal.

0 Kudos
ninkasi
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@iamg - ok, so that's not bridging. What that's doing is your new router is a client of the old router. Your new router is getting an IP address from the old router and then using NAT to enable clients attached to it to then go via the old router to then access the internet. This is why you are still restricted to 11 clients. WiFi has improved as the new router is now the local wifi access point, rather than the old router.

It sounds like you have fibre connected to the old router which would mean you have 'fibre to the home' which is cool. Very jealous! https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Guides/NBN-Guide-What-You-Need-to-Know

Do you have just one box on the wall inside the house with the fibre running out of it (the 'fibre wall outlet'), or do you also have another box (the 'nbn connection box') - see diagram on page 7 - http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco/documents/nbn-fibre-user-guide.pdf

If you just have fibre, then I suspect that means you are kind of stuck with it. If you also have the bigger box, possibly not being used at the moment, then I'd contact Optus and see if you can use that - in theory the fibre should be able to run to that, and then you can get a direct ethernet connection from there. You could run a cable straight from that to your router, and then connect the Optus router to yours to get Voip.

On a slightly brighter note, you may also be interested in the following: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2401743

Cheers

0 Kudos
JAXTON57
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have the same concern over my modem and wanted to buy a new one. Good to know whether optus will allow you to replace theirs but at your own cost. Their modem is completely useless with wifi constantly down or slow

0 Kudos
Top Contributors