Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
downpatrick
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Can I Use a Different Cable Modem?

I had to pay for Cisco DPQ3925 but had it replaced as the wifi connection distance was appalling. Optus sent a new one out only to have the same problem - Eventually Optus refunded the $80 so I went out and purchased a decent Modem with built in Router only to come home and realise the connection is CoAxial so need to go back to landmark Computers for refund. Has anyone been able to purchase a compatible modem for Optus cable? Or do people recommend a Separate router?

Happy to have a response even if it is from OPTUS?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Ryan
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@downpatrick wrote:

Has anyone been able to purchase a compatible modem for Optus cable? Or do people recommend a Separate router?

Happy to have a response even if it is from OPTUS?

Cheers

Hey downpatrick - can you please send me your details via a Private Message so I can access your service and take a read over the notes on your account as well as look into some possible options for you?

You can send a PM by viewing my Profile and then selecting the option on the right hand side of your screen 😉

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
gazwebtech
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same Problem with the Optus Modem.

Drops out on WiFI, also sometimes cant even connect via WIFI, where I have to reboot the modem.  This is my second modem.  They are crap.  

I also want to know can I buy a new quality cable modem 100MB myself.

Sick and tired of the drop outs and especially when it wont let me connect.  To fix that issue I have had to install a second WIFI modem so I can  connect.

Can someone from Optus please advise, and what are my choices of modem.   It is either this or will have to swap services to another provider and move to ADSL 2+ and buy my own modem.

Surely there is a better quality modem that will not lock me out and will not drop out.

Garry

Ryan
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@gazwebtech wrote:

Same Problem with the Optus Modem.

Drops out on WiFI, also sometimes cant even connect via WIFI, where I have to reboot the modem.  This is my second modem.  

Can you please shoot me the Problem Report number you have for the modem replacement so I can take a read over the notes on your account?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
vlceptor
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Someone please answer this question, i want to buy another modem besides the Optus Cisco 3925.

I have had it up to my neck with the constant drop outs.

I have called optus at least 7 times to try and correct the problem, they have sent a tech out. He said everything is perfectly fine.

I am sick of dealing with the call centre based in India, today i asked to speak to a supervisor and insisted he/she be Australian. He said thats not possible as all phone enquiries are indian based, than told me the supervisor will call me back.

It's been 7 hours since then, he told me it would be 2 hours maximum.

If i dont fix this problem by the end of month i am cancelling with optus finally.

Such a shame since i have everything bundled with them and its been about 15 years since ive been with the company.

Very appalling customer service phone related and not the best experience ive had with their internet service over the past couple of years.

I dont care if the modem is $200 as long as i dont get drop outs, modem resets (7-10 times a day) and able to connect to my NAS

0 Kudos
Tris

Sorry for the problems you've been having vlcptor, currently you can purchase the Netgear CG3000v2 from the customer service team. You'd just need to call on 133927

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
philtbc
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am also having drop outs with current Optus supplied netgear wifi router. I went out and got a Netgear C6300BD, and stupidly thought that I could just give them the cm mac address and serial number and I would be up and running again.

But NO!!!  I was informed that for cable modems only optus supplied modems will work!!

and the so called support staff could give me a VALID reason. 

Now this is a technology company whose systems can not handle any other wifi routers but the one netgear model?

Are you SERIOUS???? !!!! last time I checked I am still paying to access your network, it shouldn't matter what modem/router I use!!!

This is beyond a joke, if I don't get this problem resolved, I will gladly take my business elsewhere.

NOT HAPPY!!

0 Kudos
Nghi
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

We do only allow a limited set of modems to connect to our cable network. Please check out the full list on this link. Each modem we supply is loaded with specific firmware to work within our network parameters. ADSL connections are different and any standard ADSL modem/router will connect as long as you enter your Optus username/password.

If the dropouts you are experiencing are only on Wi-fi then it is possible to bridge our supplied modem and connected your own router to it. This will allow your own router to manage the Wi-fi and internal network. If the dropouts are seeing the modem go offline and lose connectivity back to Optus then best to raise a fault with tech support to be investigated. Please give us a call 24/7 on 1300300693.

0 Kudos
philtbc
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thankyou Nghi for your reply,

Please provide instructions as how I can bridge my new modem with the existing one to see if the we can eliminate the drop outs.

Regards

0 Kudos
Nghi
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

We don't officially support the bridging of the modem and can't provide any assistance in activating it. However we don't stop customers from performing it and I do know others have done it successfully. You just need to be aware that if you call support for internet connection problems in future, we will ask you to factory reset modem to bring out of bridge mode.

Instructions on how to bridge our modems can be found online.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors