Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor smoothy3
New Contributor

Can I Use a Different Cable Modem?

Hey Guys,

One of the many people that are experiencing frequent dropouts with the Netgear CG3000. Im sick of it and after just getting off the phone with Support, its gonna cost me another $80 dollars to send out the same modem(why would i want the same with so many problems) because the modems warranty ran out. Id rather pay $200 for a top of the line modem that I know will work flawlessly. So my question is it possible to use a modem bought from a shop instead of an optus supplied modem. Ive read that it can be done over the phone with tech support or they try and send out a techie and charge you $100 bucks. Any help greatly appreciated, I cant tolerate these dropouts any longer.

40 Replies
New Contributor PhilOfPerth
New Contributor

Re: Can I Use a Different Cable Modem?

I had a problem with a modem, and reverted to an old one that I'd been supplied with a previous Telstra account. I connected it, then re-booted Windows (Windows 7), which found it and applied the correct settings, without any hassles, so I believe you can use any modem of the correct type (eg wireless etc.).

0 Kudos
New Contributor smoothy3
New Contributor

Yeah Ive read on alot of forums that many not work, so i dont wanna risk going to buy a brand new modem if it isnt going to connect. And i also dont have any old cable modems because the Netgear CG3000 was the first modem I got when i moved into a cable house.
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ryan
RetiredModerator

Hey smoothy - are you noticing these 'dropouts' when connected via Eth or wifi? Is it happening at a certain time of the day/ night or at random times? If you can shoot me through your Internet Username via a Private Message I can take a closer look over your connection for you as well as look into some possible options for you.

Also, please keep in mind that only Optus supplied Cable modems will be provisioned on this type of service. A DSL service is completely different where a number of non-Optus supplied modems will work when the correct details are entered into the modems firmware page.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor smoothy3
New Contributor

Ethernet
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor howerf85
Occasional Contributor

I bought brand new an optus branded dpq3212 but ive been trying to get it connected for the last 5 hours or so. Originally had the dpq3925 but the wireless was absolutely shocking. Being only 3-5 metres away and you would only get 2 bars.
Occasional Contributor Eatwell365
Occasional Contributor

Check if Optus would help you troubleshoot when it is not an Oprus modem. My understanding is a No,
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Eatwell365
Occasional Contributor

[sic] Optus
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor howerf85
Occasional Contributor

Eventhough though it is an optus modem i gave up in the end I was dealing with optus for the 6+ hours. I got the dpq3925 reconnected and was given cisco's number to ring them to enquire about disabling the wireless part on the modem as optus dont provide assistance with that stuff. Optus customer service is atrocious, I would rather pay a call out and get an optus tech out.
0 Kudos
New Contributor downpatrick
New Contributor

HI - Thanks for adding this - I got a full refund for the DPQ3925 as the wifi was crap. What did you end up purchasing as I am still using the DPQ3925 as modem but 3 g for other devices
Thanks
0 Kudos