cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can I Use a Different Cable Modem?

Hi, I know this is an old post but I need some information on this subject. My current configuration is an Optus supplied Mororola cable modem and a Netgear router (both about 10 years old). These still  work okay but as I now have heavy wifi usage at home I need to upgrade. My questions are:

- what is the latest Cable Modem (only) offering from Optus (assuming I can hook up any new router to the modem)?

- what is the latest Cable Modem/Router offering from Optus?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Optus no longer offer a stand alone modem. They offer the modem/router combo of the netgear CG3000v2. You can place this in bridge modem though that would allow you to use it as a standard modem.  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @Tarantini

As of now Optus only seem to offer the Netgear CG3000v2 cable modem - which can operate as a wifi router, or can be put into bridge mode so you can then connect a router of your choice. Personally - after 3 months of issues with that specific device - I'd put it in bridge mode and get a separate router. On a positive note, you will find that the new modem may provide faster download and upload speeds - the CG3000v2 is a DOCSIS 3.0 EMTA that can support up to 100Mbps downloads - by default (without the Optus 'speed pack') you can get up to 30Mbps downloads.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks SamSam.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Ninkasi, yes I have heard that the Optus cable modem has had issues and that Optus has not made any progress in resolving them. Did your problems cease when you put it in bridge mode?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @Tarantini - yes, for me the modem was fine from when I got it in Dec 2014, until about Dec 2015. Then I started getting regular issues with it resetting itself. After (eventually - it took me 3 months of working with Optus support trying to resolve the problem, including replacing the power supply, then the whole modem, as well as checking many other things) I decided to try changing to bridge mode (and no, Optus didn't suggest doing that), network and telephone have both been reliable again. That's since 15/3, so three weeks now. Might not seem like a lot, but it's been a major win from my perspective. I was seriously considering ending my contract and jumping ship to Telstra.

Turns out that there was a similar issue some time ago that was supposed to have been fixed via a firmware update. It now appears, at least in my case, that the fix was not successful and/or a new issue has been introduced.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Tarantini only other thing I'll add to this is that Optus tech support to don't support bridge mode. Your fine to use it but if a problem arises or you can't get your third party router to work with it, they won't help. If/when a problem comes up, you'll need to disable bridge mode to troubleshoot.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Hi @SamSam - good point, although in my case after multiple calls and visits over a number of months Optus tech support were unable to resolve the issues I was experiencing with the cable modem whilst it was in normal router mode. The only possible 'fix' the last tech who visited my home could suggest was replacing the Netgear with a Cisco, but it turned out that there were none available and I was basically told I'd need to go to Telstra. Changing to bridge mode, although possibly not supported, is the only thing that fixed it for me.

In the event that some other issue arises, I'll simply change it back to router mode and then contact Optus support and clearly state - on my first call - that my 'phone is not working and that I will be claiming compensation under the CSG if it is not fixed within one business day. 😉

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

That's good to hear Ninkasi, thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

That's great SamSam, thanks again.

0 Kudos