Searching...

Re: Cable wifi dropouts on Apple MBP 15

markmark

Yes. The problem still exists.

Optus crew came and replaced Modem/Router. No change.

We were guided through changing channels in modem/router in case of nearby wifi interference. No change.

It has been so long an issue now, we have even moved house. No change.

I have spoken to Apple, but they have not been able to find anything.

Everyone has been unable to solve, especially when other pc and Apple devices in house have no trouble

My McBook Pro also has no problem when i use at my work office (every weekday).

I have come to the conclusion it is something incompatible with the MacBookPro and Optus's Netgear Modem used.

Nothing else makes sense so far.

VikasAhuja

We have tried changing the channel, but that hasn't helped. Looks like MBP(latest) and Netgear modem/router that comes with Optus Cable are not compatible. Not sure whether Optus has any other wifi cable router/modem that they can supply.

How to check if there are wi fi interferences.

Nghi

Thanks for confirming that markmark. Certainly points to some sort of incompatibility between the modem and the MBP. We only supply the Netgear on our Cable connections at the moment. So there isn't any other one we can try Smiley Sad

What you can do is disable the WiFi within our modem and connect up your own router/Wireless Access Point to manage your WiFi devices.

For VikasAhuja, you can install a WiFi analyser app on your phone or laptop to see which channels are in use around you. You can then go into the modem settings and change it to a less crowded one.

VikasAhuja

I see that a list of wifi modem/routers supported by Optus. See the following link.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/extras/Approved-Equipment-List

Why should Optus not try/supply the other modems to MBP customers as there seems to be a compatibility issue with Netgear??

I will install the wifi analyser app, but have already tried changing the channel w/o much luck.

Nghi

Hey VikasAhuja, the list you've linked to are the older modems we used to provide our customers that came with Optus firmware. The older ones a no longer produced and we no longer supply them. You may be able to acquire one from a previous Optus customer and we can try to activate it within our systems. It needs to be an Optus supplied modem/router though because it has to have the required Optus firmware to work. Other cable modems supplied by other providers may not work on our network.

MichaelaP

I'm reading this thread, nodding my head in agreement. In February I bought a MacBook Air 13", running El Capitan, and experience constant dropouts at home on the Optus modem. My husband has an 11" MacBook Air running OS 10.9.5 (Yosemite) and doesn't have the problem at all. My old MacBook Pro, with OS 10.9 Mavericks, doesn't have the problem either. My daughter's iPad is fine, as is my iPhone. Like many of the other writers here, I don't have the problem at work either. My nextdoor neighbour, also with Optus, has experienced exactly the same problem since buying her MacBook Air earlier this year.

The only solution I have is to continuously turn off Wifi and turn it back on again, but it's really frustrating.

From all the comments on this thread, it sounds like it must be a Mac El Capitan thing. Can you Optus people fix it urgently please? 

Thanks!

MichaelaP

I'm reading this thread, nodding my head in agreement. In February I bought a MacBook Air 13", running El Capitan, and experience constant dropouts at home on the Optus modem. My husband has an 11" MacBook Air running OS 10.9.5 (Yosemite) and doesn't have the problem at all. My old MacBook Pro, with OS 10.9 Mavericks, doesn't have the problem either. My daughter's iPad is fine, as is my iPhone. Like many of the other writers here, I don't have the problem at work either. My nextdoor neighbour, also with Optus, has experienced exactly the same problem since buying her MacBook Air earlier this year.

The only solution I have is to continuously turn off Wifi and turn it back on again, but it's really frustrating.

From all the comments on this thread, it sounds like it must be a Mac El Capitan thing. Can you Optus people fix it urgently please? 

Thanks!

PS Kind of ironic that it's just taken me several attempts to post this, due to the dropouts!!

JustinB

Hi @MichaelaP! Unfortunately it's not within Optus' control to resolve Apple software issues Smiley Sad @Nghi's suggestion above would be worth looking into. You can disable the WiFi within our modem and connect up your own router/Wireless Access Point to manage your WiFi devices, seeing as the drop outs seem to be caused an incompatibility issue between the MBP software and our modem.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

measdf

"Unfortunately it's not within Optus' control to resolve Apple software issues"

It is not in our control as consumers but it is uptus' control to work with apple and resolve this issue at a higher level. - thereby providing the service that optus would expect of itself.  You are providing a router that has technical issues with one of the major opperating systems and will be affecting thousands of customers.  Very few of them would be able to establish their own Wireless Access Point, as you have suggested, as a last ditch hope.

Please work with apple in resolving this issue - I agree that it appears to be somthing that apple have done but it is in your and our interest to get this sorted!!  I can't resolve it as I don't have access to the technical side of optus and your hardware and software.

VikasAhuja

It is NOT the Apple OS which is at fault, the issue is with the modem/router. BTW I have spoken to other Optus cable customers who are facing the same issues with other PC's as well. These are not Apple products.

Optus does not offer any alternate broadband option where I live. So unfortunately we will have to move away from Optus, never had any issues with the ADSL2+ with other providers(a different modem/router)

So you can't just wash your hands off by saying not my problem.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
69 Kudos
49 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos