cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor J-H
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cable wifi dropouts on Apple MBP 15

Hi Gen_R,

No I haven't tried tech support.

To answer your second question... you can see in my previous post I mention the numerous other devices in the house that work perfectly with this Wi-Fi. To quote myself: "Nothing seems to have a problem except this particular machine...but only when connected to this Optus Wi-Fi". It works perfectly everytime elsewhere. 

Judging by the many people on this thread that are having the exact same issue, calling tech support would just chew up my valulable time and offer no solution.

RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey Guys! I actually had the same issue with my MacBook Pro recently, wouldn't connect but then sometimes it would and I was getting really frustrated! After a few Google searches I found it was something to do with the channels on the WiFi - they seem to not like connecting to anything over channel 10 or 11 and my router was set to autoscan and kept connecting to 13 which is why I had the problems.

Obviously choosing a WiFi channel isn't great because it means that there may be more interference from other WiFi Networks close by but if you can give it a go on channel 11 or lower and let me know if this fixes the issue that would be great Smiley Happy

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Hollie,

I've tried switching channels, tried about four different ones but it became pretty obvious that that wasn't gonna solve the issue. 

Interestingly though, right now - and for about the last 45 mins - I've been connected via my old Apple Airport and running the Netgear in "Bridge Mode". Early days yet but thus far I haven't experienced a dropout! I'll keep ya posted....

0 Kudos
New Contributor Naadje1406
New Contributor

Like everybody else here I also have a mac and I encounter the same issue:

- after each page load I have to disconnect/connect internet to reload the next page i'd like to visit.

-  all my other deviced (iphone, ipad, TV) work fine. It's only on my, my husband's and currently our guests mac laptop

- it only happens at home, when using Optus wifi.

- When connecting through my phone hotspot on 4G it works completely fine.

- When at the office, a hotel, at a friends place the wifi works completely fine

- As mentioned the issue started only a few weeks ago, but is persistent.

- I have Yosemite IOS X

As so many people have the same issue i do not even want to bother and spend hours and hours (again!) on speaking to optus about some tech issue. I personally would like to take it a step further and take it to an authority for internet or consumer service and usage. 

Is there an authrority where consumers can complain and form groups to force a company to solve the issues once and for all. In the netherlands you have for example a consumer society and a few TV shows who succesfully force companies to provide adequate solutions.  

Let's unite and get this crap over with for I am truly sick of tech issues with Optus and I am a member for 3 months only!

0 Kudos
New Contributor LF
New Contributor

I have exactly the same issues as everyone else on this thread. I know it is an optus problem as I tried 3 new macbooks and they all lose connection as home. Old macbooks and ipads, iphones all fine at home. Macbook works fine everywhere else.

I resorted to connecting MP by ethernet cable. That works for the most part.

not sure what we can do about this but complaining to an ombudsman might be worth a try.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Marcel
RetiredModerator

Sorry to hear that you've been experiencing the same issues LF. If you've already raised this with the TIO, then one of our guys from the customer relations team will be in touch within 10 working days once we receive communication from the TIO's office. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Leony
New Contributor

Just adding my 2 cents worth. This problem persists. In the past month or so, my old Optus modem died (it was 10 years very old or so and worked fine with the macbook). Since the netgear modem has been put in, I have had the same problem as everyone else on this thread. 2015 macbook, have tried all the settings/changes as suggested by other helpful folk above.  This really needs to be resolved. I work at home and this technical issue has made this impossible. For the moment, I have resorted to going to the cafe down the road and using their free wifi. But their charity will not last forever. 

A final remedy is required so I can work effectively. I think for me this will be to change to another provider.

New Contributor Naadje1406
New Contributor

For me this keeps happening too. It's not every day, but it does ONLY happen when using my laptop at home no matter if I sit next to the modem or in another room. 

Optus, will you ever reply to these complaints or are you just waiting until we change providers?

Moderator Marie

So sorry to hear that this has been your experience Leony & Naadje1406 Smiley Sad 

Have you spoken with our 24/7 Tech team about this or had a Problem Report raised?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

This infuriating problem persists constantly... Why would we waste our time calling tech support only to be told "sir your internet is working exactly as it should". Clearly there is a problem with this model of Netgear modems. A quick search of the internet - when it's working - comes up with numerous very frustrated MacBook Pro 15 owners dating back to at least 2014. 

Sorry Optus, after more than a year of wrestling with this, changing settings, rebooting, disconecting, reconecting it's time for me to look at alternative providers. 

Top Contributors