cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor markmark
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cable wifi dropouts on Apple MBP 15

I also have had several people, including Optus techs agree that it is an incompatibility with the Optus supplied Netgear modem/router. Their only solution suggested is to buy an alternative router, connect it via the Optus Netgear using it just as a pass-through, and get WiFi feature from the alternative router.

Long and short of it is that seems the with these Macs, we won't get WiFi reliably on our Optus service unless we spend more money on a router of our own.

0 Kudos
New Contributor measdf
New Contributor

This as a change in opperating systems of MBP as I have a number of old MBPs without any problems.  Why cant optus and apple just work together.  There is probably a setting somewhere that can be changed and all the problems would go away!!

0 Kudos
Contributor Melbourne84
Contributor

Hi all,

I have exactly the same issue here, a 2015 mac pro 15", and the dropouts are constant. 

I'm not much of a tech person. All I want is my computer to connect to the internet and pay for the serivce each month.

OPTUS: Can I (and all the other people experiencing the exact same issue) have a recommendation list of what we need to do to get this sorted.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Guy
RetiredModerator

Hi Melbourne84 Smiley Happy We usually suggest forgetting the network and then re-joining which can help. If this fails, you can try the  following. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network. Select your service that uses DHCP (such as Ethernet or Wi-Fi) in the network connection services list. Click Advanced, click TCP/IP, then click Renew DHCP Lease and see if this improves the connection.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Feh
New Contributor

Hi guy,

Renewing DHCP Lease doesn't help. Problem stays the same - wifi dropouts every couple minutes on MacBook Air 2014. Is there any other way to solve this situation? It looks like this problem affects many users with 2014-2016 Apple laptops.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Hey Feh, I have the exact same MacBook Air 2014 model 13" and it works fine. Have you already tried changing the WiFi channel within the modem settings to see if you're on a crowded channel in your area? Which version of the OS are you running?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Feh
New Contributor

Hi,

Yes, I tried changing the WiFi channels on 2,4 Ghz. I tried all of them 1-13 and it didn't fix the issue. I also put the cg3000v2 into bridge mode and connected to ac router to try 5 Ghz channels. It decresead the number of dropouts, but I am still getting them. I know it's not a computer issue, because it worked last 2 years with many diffrent routers without any problems. However, I tried OS clean install, than upgrading to Sierra, than downgrading to Yosemite - it's the same. Is there any chance to replace the cg3000v2 with any other device? It can be even modem alone as I can use proper ac router.  

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

If you've placed the CG3000v2 into bridge mode then you have taken the Optus modem out of the equation in regards to any WiFi issues. The Optus modem is no longer managing your internal LAN or WiFi connections, your other connected router is. If you're still getting drop-outs with this other router then it's pointing to a problem with the Laptop's Wifi card/antennas which would need to be looked into by Apple.

What is the make/model of the third-party router you connected up to our bridged modem?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor J-H
Occasional Contributor

Hey there, 

Just adding myself to this list of frustrated Opus customers using a recent MacbookPro. I'm in exactly the same boat...constant dropouts - only at my home - since purchasing my latest Mac at the start of 2016. The only temporary remedy being to Turn Off Wi-Fi momentarily and then turn it back on again. It's often pretty unworkable and I sometimes have to resort to tethering my Mac to my iPhone using Telstra 4G... and this ain't cheap! 

Like others, I've tried changing Wi-Fi channels on the Netgear admin page to no avail. Also like others, this MacBookPro works flawlessly everytime when connected to any other Wi-Fi.  And as I type this my wife is happily connected to the Optus net using her several years old MacBookPro with OS 10.6 and having no problems at all. My iPhone has no problems, my old Macbook has no problems. Nothing seems to have a problem except this particular machine...but only when connected to this Optus Wi-Fi.

Of note: I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5 (I know earlier in the discussion there was talk of this issue being related to El Capitan only)

C'mon Optus, please sort out this issue ASAP. 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Gen_R
RetiredModerator

Hey J-H - did you happen to chat with Tech Support on 131344 about the issues you've been having? How does the Wi-Fi work on your other devices? 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors