Searching...

Cable wifi dropouts on Apple MBP 15

Mark3000

I have a 2015 Apple Macbook Pro 15" on Optus cable internet, 3199 location. OSX El Capitan. 

I get frequent dropouts on this device but our other devices (2 windows laptops and 2 android devices) continue working fine.

I've sometimes had over 20 dropouts a day. 

It usually occurs whole browsing the web, pages will cease loading and I lose all download and upload transfer. However the device still shows full wifi signal is the status bar. To fix it, I just turn wifi off and back on again on the laptop and it starts working fine again, until the next dropout. Sometimes it's fine food r an hour, other times I'm lucky to get 5 minutes. 

I've explored the issue extensively with Apple support who insist there is no fault with hardware or software. After lengthy investigation they believe Optus is to blame. They tested the wifi for 24 hours on their connection and could not replicate the problem. I have tried resetting all the wifi settings and even a full OSX clean install. 

I am using the supplied Optus/Netgear modem router. I have tried different routers (still using the Optus/Netgear as modem) and the problem persists. 

Is this an incompatibility with Optus cable? Could it be an issue with the Netgear router? Is there an alternative router Optus can provide? 

My service is borderline unusable in its current state. I tried calling support. They told me try a different channel on the router and that there was nothing else they could do. Optus has been ignoring my pleas for help on Twitter. 

Re: Cable wifi dropouts on Apple MBP 15

markmark

I have the same laptop and the exact same described problem.

Dropouts are frequent and disrupting. Sometimes dropouts can be 5 minutes apart. Makes working from home almost impossible. Struggle to call this a service.

Cannot see any solution suggested from Optus. I don't believe it is the Apple, as I use the same setup (with a different ISP) from my work office, and it NEVER drops out.

No help from Optus yet.

Hollie

Hey Guys

I actually use a MacBook Pro myself and run El Capitan and have had no problems with dropouts on the device at all. Are you able to confirm a few things for me?

Are you browsing using Safari or Google Chrome or an alternate browser?

Do you have the Netgear v1 or v2 modem router?

Mark3000 are you confirming you took your computer into an Apple store and they had it connected to the internet for 24 hours without any problems?

What year did you purchase your MacBook?

If you can answer these questions this may help our Networks guys try and pin point any commonalities.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

markmark

Hi Hollie,

In answer to your questions:

Are you browsing using Safari or Google Chrome or an alternate browser?

I use Firefox, Chrome and Safai (auto latest versions of each)

I can also run Windows 10 on Parallels on the MacBook and use Edge Browser.

It fails independent of browser.

Do you have the Netgear v1 or v2 modem router?

V2

It is now still failing (5 -10 minutes apart).

I can ony fix by turning WiFi off, then on again

Mark3000 are you confirming you took your computer into an Apple store and they had it connected to the internet for 24 hours without any problems?

No... I am saying I take it to my office every day (diferent ISP) and use it uninterupted on WiFi 'every day'

What year did you purchase your MacBook?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Hollie

Ok - thanks for the extra information, I'd like to have a look at your connection a bit more closely so are you able to PM me your account information including Optus Internet username?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

smokingkills

Is there an update on this issue?  Or has it been resolved?

I'm having the same issue and have the same laptop with the other 2 guys.  

I have a 2014 Apple Macbook Pro retina 15" on Optus cable internet (Netgear v2 modem). OSX El Capitan. 

Getting dropouts every 5-10 min.  And to fix it i have to switch off my wifi on the macbook and on again.  

I have other devices (not macbooks) which don't experience the dropouts on the same network.  

Bring the macbook to the office for a whole day and no drop outs experienced.  

markmark

I still have had no answer on this. I've even had Optus out and replace the modem/router, and no change at all.

Optus Tech thought it was either something perculiar to the Netgear appliance, or Apple. However, unlikely Apple as it works in office on WiFi no problem.

BION

I have same problem wih my new macbook pro running el capitain 10.11.5

The main time I notice it is using Safari and sometimes using ssh

I have had no problems with this computer on other wifi systems

I currently run multiple other macs (older operating systems) and never  have or had a problem

My feeling is that it has something to do with el capitain

Have no idea how to test this apart from intalling a older operating system on my new macos (not planning on this)

Another thought: new iphones drop wifi completely, but old iphone never loses connection?

What is going on??

VikasAhuja

I bought an Apple MBP 13" a month ago running el capitain 10.11.5. I also have the exach same issue, i.e the connection keeps dropping. Have Optus cable network at home. The connectivity is fine everywhere else. Spoke to Optus they don't have any solution .Optus has offerred to send a new modem(same modem, same config) but they tell me that it won't help as its the same make and same version.......

Seriously this needs escalation, will be talking to Apple soon, saw this link on the net

https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&type=organic&src=support_searchbox_main&locale=en_AU&...

Has anyone found any solution to this issue????

Highlighted

Nghi

Really sorry this is still ongoing for you Smiley Sad Can we confirm that everything else is connecting to the Optus modem ok via WiFi and it's only the MBP that's having problems? You could be experiencing WiFi interference inside your house. Have you tried changing the WiFi channel from within the modem settings?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
32 Kudos
16 Kudos